Thread: Want help in installing Linux on ASUS ROG G750

Want help in installing Linux on ASUS ROG G750

I am planing to install Linux on ASUS ROG G750. The laptop comes loaded with Windows 8.1. I want to test Linux and see how it works. What distro is going to work fine in it. I am thinking about Ubuntu. Because I am using the same on my old laptop. Linux pc are quiet great when it works to work. You get amazing output in this compare to Windows. I am having certain programs that will only work on Linux.

Re: Want help in installing Linux on ASUS ROG G750

Test Linux Mint. I am sure it will work. Other things you will get is through updates. This laptop has GeForce GTX 800M gpu. You will need to find appropriate drivers for the same. You can find details for that from the official site of Nvidia. Just download drivers and add them. I think this laptop can give you extreme level of performance on your Linux also.

There can be some hardware issue. Linux might be able to run all hardware. Something will be not working. If it was a regular laptop then it is more beneficial to use Linux on that. But on this it is better to stick with Windows. It is a gaming laptop. By adding Linux you wont be able to take maximum performance benefit. Things will be limited. Drivers are the most complicated things to find.

Before going ahead with installation better find the all the required drivers stuff. Then only go ahead. You can choose the most popular Linux distro Ubuntu. It has good amount of hardware support compare to others. Instead of removing Windows just dual boot your system. Install Windows and Linux side by side. If there is some issue you can at-least switch back to Windows.

One more thing you can try. You can install Ubuntu inside windows. You just have to provide it a separate partition. You can install it inside and remove it when you think the system is not able to give you proper output. You can use Ubuntu installer for that. This tool will automatically install the OS in your system. You can then remove that from Control Panel > Uninstall programs if you find it buggy.

I think you must dual boot with Linux Mint. I am using Mint in my office. There are around 4 different system on which we are using it and it works really well. It does not freeze. Only one pc among all has a Nvidia gpu. I was able to get new CUDA drivers from the official site. I had tested a few Linux games which works nicely. So just dual boot and then you can restore windows boot-loader back if it does not work.

I test different distro through live cd. This help to find out the interface and other stuff. Many recommend Linux mint because of its simple interface. It is fast and great for office work. But if you worry about hardware compatibility then the best one is Ubuntu. Constant updates makes this OS more stable and you can take maximum benefit from your system.

Ubuntu will work well on ASUS ROG G750. You might face issue with the wifi card. You have to locate appropriate drivers or else it won't work. It will work fine if you are using it on the stock video memory. For the gpu thing I am a bit doubtful. You can try testing some older distro. But it is right that you will get more performance over Windows. It is ideal for file server stuff.