Thread: error "unable to start Dolby Audio driver" after upgrading to Windows 8.1

error "unable to start Dolby Audio driver" after upgrading to Windows 8.1

I am using a Lenovo Laptop that came with Windows 8 preinstalled. Yesterday I updated it to Windows 8.1 and after that whenever I boot my pc to desktop I get an error message saying that "Unable to start the Dolby audio driver". I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling Dolby driver from my computer but still the error comes up. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thanks

Re: error "unable to start Dolby Audio driver" after upgrading to Windows 8.1

You can try to go to the Lenovo website and get the latest version of the Conexant Audio Drivers which is needed for Windows 8.1. This driver is specifically made for the upgraded operating system and the previous version will not work on Windows 8.1. All you need to do is just download this updated drivers for your device from this url - http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page.

There is another way to solve this issue. Simply open Device Manager and then expand the Sound, Video and Games Controllers list. After that right click on the Conexant Smart Audio HD device and select Uninstall. Now click on Action > Scan for new hardware and the Conexant Smart Audio device will appear again. Now go to D:\drivers\Audio\DolbyGUI and install Dolby Home Theater from there. Hope this helps.

I was also facing a very same problem like many others after upgradind to the latest Windows 8.1 operating system in my laptop. The error that I was getting was kind of different like "Dolby Advanced Audio", so I actually reinstalled it on the last step instead of Dolby Home Theatre. I was also prompted to do a restart of my system after uninstalling this smart audio hd and then had to go back to Device Manager where the Smart Audio device was again re-appearing.