Thread: How to password lock usb on Linux Mint

How to password lock usb on Linux Mint

How to add a password in pen drive on Linux system. I am trying to do this on my uncle's laptop. I has Ubuntu on it. I want some help through which I can simply lock a usb. Or lock a folder. I h av e some private images and I do not what to get it leaked. There are some documents also which I had scanned and kept in the usb. Sometime the same usb is used by my friends also. Once the password is applied I do not think anyone will be able to access it.

Re: How to password lock usb on Linux Mint

The best you can do is buy a pen drive that comes with password lock feature. To lock it on the system you have to use a software. And that is not so secure. There are many pen drive on web that comes with password protection.

It is right that if you buy a pen drive that comes with password in it, then it is far more safer. I got one from Kingston. It has a chip inside that keeps the drive lock with a password. On whichever system you connect it will ask for it. But in a software the security is not so powerful. Password can be removed through formatting or by third party software. Another thing you can do is simply archive all those files. Put them in a rar folder and add a password to it. It will be complicated for people to unlock the same. I always keep my confidential data in a lock rar file. It is not easy to open with third party software also. In this way you can keep your data wherever you want, but that will be not accessible.

I am using USB Secure. It is a tiny password protection software that can be used on Windows platform. I am not sure whether it will work on linux or not. But you can add a password to your pen drive through this.