Thread: Partition resizing does not work on Windows 8

Partition resizing does not work on Windows 8

My friend has a new laptop that has Windows 8 in it. It came with a single 500Gb partition. It is a single partition and he wants to make more from it. I am trying to re-size the partition but it is not working. I cannot see any option to re-size partition in disk management. It looks the drive is locked and cannot be re-sized. What should I do know. I cannot find anything inside the bios also. The laptop belongs to Dell. Should I run full recovery.

Re: Partition resizing does not work on Windows 8

Try that. It looks some settings is disabled in your system due to which you are not able to resize partition. Disk Management is the only safest way to resize partition and get the kind of size you want. You can shrink the partition to maximum in it.

If Disk Management is not working then there are some third party tools available which you can test and try. Like Easeus Partition Magic. This is a nice software that allow you to customize all the partition. You can increase or decrease the size as per your need. The benefit of using this software is that it offer you a visual way of modifying the partition size. It is easy to configure. You can increase the decrease the size just by dragging the size slider. I am using this from long time. Recently I faced a issue with pen drive. It was not formatting. I used this tool to restore the old size back and it worked. I will recommend you to test this software once. It is very effective and works nicely.

There will be something inside bios. You have to change the settings to allow partition resizing. Some drives comes protected through bios settings that does not allow you to resize the storage. But once you disable those settings you can go ahead with managing different space.

There is a option available if you can arrange a Windows 7 installation disc. Here your existing OS will not be affected. We are only going to shrink the C drive. If you can boot your system through that DVD. Then click on Install now. The next screen you will see is the partition list. Click on the C drive and then choose shrink partition from below. This option appear automatically. You can add a set of limit in mbs. Then you can create a new partition. This is a effective way of reducing the partition size. If this is not working then are huge number of third party tools. You can download and test them one by one. Paragon Partition Manager is one of the most popular tool which allow you to manage various partition sizes. You can adjust everything as per your need an get the kind of output you are looking for.

Run the recovery after taking backup and see what output you get after that. You can then again try resizing the partition. This might resolve the issue. But if this does not work then you will have to do format our pc through different dvd.

There are few more tools that you can try out. This tools offer you simple option to resize the partition. Try Paragon Partition Manager. This is a advance software which comes with many feature to modify the system partition. It works with all kind of system. The benefit of using this tool is that you can resize the partition without loosing your data. The process is quiet simple and easy. There are simple steps to split different partitions or merge. The latest version of this tool is Partition Magic 14. You can download a trial edition and test the same. You will be able to resize the partition as per your need. It has both basic and advance partitioning option. You can also take out space from existing large partition and create a new one from that. You can also optimize your hard drive output by running Automatic Partition Alignment.

If you are unable to re-size the partition then it looks it is a locked drive. Try to post the full laptop model here. And also checkout which bios it has. I think you will have to flash the bios to get the storage drive worked.