Thread: Which among Unity, Gnome and Mate UI work well on old computers

Which among Unity, Gnome and Mate UI work well on old computers

I am going to upgrade my system with new Linux OS. Now there are 3 more systems which are very old. They might be having a dual core or even older processor. I am not sure about that. I have format those system and install a Linux OS. Today there are many open source operating system available. Like Ubuntu which comes with Gnome or Unity interface. I want to know which will be faster.

Re: Which among Unity, Gnome and Mate UI work well on old computers

Gnome is the best one according to me. It is used from long time and has a responsive interface. It is easy to use and also fast on slower system.You can try installing a older version of Ubuntu instead of the latest.

Gnome is the most common one one which is still used by many.But the recent version for open source OS has brought new UI like Cinnamon, Mate, etc. This are fast responsive and impressive also. Above all I found Mate more better. Because it gives you Windows type of look. It has a Start Menu, a simple task bar where you can pin different apps and you can customize it as per your need. It is also very fast in usage. This thing does not slow down at all. I am using it for image editing. I had installed Gimp on the same. The OS works really well on 1GB of ram also. Compare to which Windows is quiet slow. You can get this UI on Linux Mint. This is a new os which has released a few months ago and is still widely used. The loading time is good with fast output. There are other more. The new Pear OS has a different UI. But compare to all I think Linux Mint is far more better.

Go for Gnome. If you are bit comfortable in using Linux then this would be the most simplest one. You can use Ubuntu for the same. You can try different version and use which you find easy.