Thread: black screen while upgrading to Windows 8.1

black screen while upgrading to Windows 8.1

I am using a Dell XPS and I am facing problem updating to Windows 8.1 preview on this laptop. If I am trying to update then it starts to do its thing but after sometime the laptop restarts many times. After that when it boots then it starts up in a black screen with just a cursor in the middle of the screen. No matter how many times I restart the computer it will get stuck at the black screen only. How do I solve this problem, please let me know. Thanks

Re: black screen while upgrading to Windows 8.1

Even I was facing the same issue. But later I was able to solve it. You need to go into Safe Mode by clicking F8 after you start your laptop. After login you need to disable the Intel graphic card in Device Manager and then restart the laptop in normal mode and then download the latest graphics driver from either nvidia or amd, depending upon which company's card you have in your laptop.

The same problem happened to me when I was trying to update to Windows 8.1. The installation went through fine but in between the setup process I got a black screen. There was no Windows tiles coming up and kept restarting but to no avail. After that I disconnected the power adapter and then restarted my pc and then I got a message that came up that Windows did not install properly with options to repair, restart and restore. I choose restore and then it started the process just fine.

If the above method doesnt work then press ctrl+alt+del to launch Task Manager. After that run cmd with admin rights and then type sfc /scannow in command prompt and let it to finish. Now from the Task Manager run mmc with admin rights and then add local users snap-in. After that create new local user and add him to admin group and then withdraw yourself from admin rights. Now restart the pc and then log in to the newly created admin user and then try to upgrade to Windows 8.1