Thread: windows 8 error your pc needs to restart

windows 8 error your pc needs to restart

I am running Windows 8 on my computer and I am trying to install Windows 8.1 Preview version now. But if I am trying to install it then after sometime I am getting the below error message:

your pc needs to restart
    please hold down the power button
    Error code: 0x0000005D

Can anyone tell me how do I install Windows 8.1 Preview release on my pc? Thanks

Re: windows 8 error your pc needs to restart

If you are trying to install Windows 8.1 Preview on a 64bit edition then check to make sure that the CPU that you are using supports CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW and LAHF/SAHF. You can try to find out the internal name of the Virtualbox machine that you have by using this command - VBoxManage list vms. After that turn off the computer and enable the CMPXCHG16B CPU instruction using the below command:
    VBoxManage setextradata [vmname] VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1

First of all you will have to restart your computer and get inside BIOS. Now in bios go to Advanced and then Cpu configuration. Now you need to search for No-Execute Memory Protection option and then click on it and just try to enable it. Now save the changes and exit BIOS option. After that the computer will restart and then it will continue to install Windows 8 in Virtualbox.

The error that you are getting could be also related to the old version of VMware player you are using, so try to grab the latest version of the software. Windows 8 supports only the latest version and also you should have atleast 25gb of free storage space in the hard drive with 2gb of memory. Hope this helps you out.