Thread: Getting error while deleting a file from Windows 8 desktop

Getting error while deleting a file from Windows 8 desktop

I use the desktop as a default location to save all my files. I am having a bit issue with deleting the files from the desktop. It is not working fine. I tried to
    delete some stuff but that does not looks to be working well. I am getting error that I don't have the full access to delete those things. I need some help here to get rid of this problem. I am the only admin of my system and still those files are stucked on the desktop.

Re: Getting error while deleting a file from Windows 8 desktop

Are you sure that you are the admin of your system. You will need to checkout that once again. Try to login in the admin account and then you will be able to delete those files. Due to file permission you are getting that problem.

Looks like a virus issue. The file permission is modified due to which you are getting the problem. It is necessary that you must simply go ahead with scanning your system. You can do that under safe mode. Try to run a full system scan and then check whether any threat is detected or not. It is a most common thing with virus. When they spread in your system you cannot make changes to any files or folders. They overwrite the permission. To check the permission settings right click on the file and click on Properties. In that remove the tick from Read only. That's all. Then try to delete the file once again. It might work. It it does not work then you can run system restore also. This will restore your old settings, but it might also restore old threats which were detected and removed from your system. Still you can try the same. There is no tool available that can provide you automated way of fixing file permission. You have to manage each and everything manually. Just run a virus scan and see what you get.

Rightclick on the file on your desktop and click on Security tab. In that you can see the permission. If you are admin then you can edit it. But if the button is grayed out then you are not in the admin account. Create a new account and check back.