Thread: Unable to turn off Windows 8.1

Unable to turn off Windows 8.1

Is this known problem with windows 8.1 or just me? I upgraded my Win 8 running HP desktop to 8.1 Preview yesterday. Installation went fine without any problems, also the system is working good. But it is not allowing me turn off the laptop any more. When i click the shutdown buttons, it seems turning off but restarts again. When i click to put it in hibernate mode, nothing happens. Any idea what is wrong? How can i fix it? Should i try re-installing 8.1 again? If yes, please let me know how?

Re: Unable to turn off Windows 8.1

In Windows 8 or 8.1, there is a Power Troubleshooting tool. I think you should try running the same. In order to use it, bring up the search box on Charm bar, type power troubleshooting and hit enter. From the results, select power and run the troubleshooter. Let it do it work, hopefully it should fix the problem automatically.

Secondly, i will also suggest you to try turning off the laptop by running a simple Command in CMD. Open CMD as Admin and type the following command followed by enter:

shutdown -s -t 10

you should get a notification in the system tray saying system is shutting down in 10 seconds. See if it restarts or gets turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Who is it View Post
    Secondly, i will also suggest you to try turning off the laptop by running a simple Command in CMD. Open CMD as Admin and type the following command followed by enter:

shutdown -s -t 10
    Running power troubleshooter doesn't made any change to the system. Still the system neither go in hibernation, not remains turned off. As far as the shutdown code is concerned, it instead shutting down in 10 seconds, it brings up a BlueScreen.

Now what?

Hello Namuchil,

Can you just tell me what Antivirus program are you using with this laptop? Also have you installed any third party firewall?

Yep, I am using McAffee free edition on my system. But there is no third party firewall, only Windows default firewall is running.

Does it matters with this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Namuchil View Post
    Does it matters with this problem?
    Yes, probably that does matters. As far as I have read about such problems, in most of the cases I have found thing common and that is McAfee. Furthermore, the problem where you PC wont shutdown or hibernate, it is caused by a file called “mfefirek.sys”. This is actually a core firewall engine driver which comes with your McAfee setup.

Removing this file will surely fix the problem but unfortunately there is no way (or I don’t known) to remove it manually from the system. The only way is to uninstall McAfee completely from the system without leaving any of its files or traces on the computer.

So hope you know what you need to do to fix the said problem.