Thread: Windows 8 update KB2835364 wont install, error code 80070002

Windows 8 update KB2835364 wont install, error code 80070002

I am using Windows 8 since past six months on my new Dell laptop. I am not having any functionality problem with this laptop so far, always keep it updated with all recent patches from Windows Update. Yesterday i ran updates after 2 weeks and found a huge list of patches. As usual, i clicked to install them all. When i returned after an hour i found all updates installed successfully except one.

It was KB2835364 which failed to update and there was an error code '80070002'. I tried installing that particular update many times after restarting PC every time but still the problem persists. I dont know what could be the problem. Can anyone of you please help me out with this?

Re: Windows 8 update KB2835364 wont install, error code 80070002

Did you tried installing the update after deleting or renaming the 'SoftwareDistribution'? If not, give it a try. It use to fix many problems related to Windows Updates. If you dont know how to this, check the below steps:

• Press Win + R key to bring up the RUN BOX.
    • Type %windir% followed by enter.
    • You will find a folder here named as "SoftwareDistribution". Rename it to something else.
    • You can also get this folder at C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution (instead of 2nd and 3rd step)
    • Now try running and installing the update again.

See if it helps.

Hello TEIDDWEN, did you managed to fix the problem? If not, here is yet another fix that helped to get rid of the same error. In my case deleting SoftwareDistribution didn’t helped at all. After lots of searches and workarounds, finally I thought to run System File Checker once, assuming there would be some corrupt file as well which can cause this issue.

I opened command prompt as an Administrator, ran "sfc /scannow" command, restarted the system. Next time when I tried installing the update, it went successfully without any problem.

Here are few troubleshooting steps to fix Updates issues or dealing with error code 80070002. These are provided by Microsoft officially.

• First of all you need to disable the Windows Update Service by going to Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.
    • Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Right-click the Windows Update service, and then click Stop.
    • Once done, delete the temporary update file. To do this Open C: drive, Double-click the Windows folder, and then double-click the SoftwareDistribution folder.
    • Double-click the DataStore folder to open it, and then delete all files and folders in the folder. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Click the Back button. In the SoftwareDistribution folder, double-click the Download folder to open it, and then delete all files in the folder. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Now restart the Windows Update Service by repeating the process in 3rd step.

Now try running Updates and see if it helps.