Thread: usb 3.0 not working after updating to Windows 8.1 preview

usb 3.0 not working after updating to Windows 8.1 preview

I have a Asus laptop that came with Windows 8 operating system preinstalled on it. This laptop also has 2 Usb 3.0 port which was working great. But now, after updating to Windows 8.1 Preview I am no longer able to use usb 3.0 port. If I connect anything in the Usb 2.0 port then it works fine, but if I plug in anything in Usb 3.0 then the drive will not response at all? Is there anyone who can solve this problem? Thanks

Re: usb 3.0 not working after updating to Windows 8.1 preview

Since you have updated to the latest version of the Operating System, you might have to install the newest driver available for USB 3.0 in your computer or you can try to install the Windows 8 USB 3.0 drivers in compatibility mode. Just uninstall the driver for the USB controller that is having problem in the Device Manager first and then install the latest ones.

Yes, even I think that the problem might be happening due to driver compatibility issues. So first try to uninstall the usb 3 drivers and then install it again. To do this, press Windows key + R keys on your keyboard and then type devmgmt.msc in the run window. After that expand the USB Controllers and then right click on USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller and uninstall it and also place a check to delete the drive in the next window. Now click ok and then restart the pc. Now download the latest usb 3 driver from manufacturer website and then install it in Compatability mode and check if it works fine.

I dont think that you will be able to find the Windows 8.1 drivers for the USB 3.0 Controller. So, you will have to download the drivers that are available for either Windows 7 or Windows 8 and then install it in compatibility mode in the updated version of the operating system. If still the usb controller doesnt work, then your only hope is to revert back to the previous OS to get it working.