Thread: Windows 8.1 wont turn on after installing Windows updates

Windows 8.1 wont turn on after installing Windows updates

Hello techies, i am looking for an urgent help. This is laptop upgraded to Windows 8.1 Preview on this Saturday. It was working great until this morning when i installed Windows updates. Actually i was checking out all the settings when i reach to updates section. I found notification about 18 updates available. As i was about to go for break and the system will remain idle, i ran the updates and allowed them to install. On returning i found that all updates are download and needs to be rebooted to install the same. I restarted the PC but since then it is stuck on a Black Screen (just after bios screen) and wont boot up at all. Its been over 6 hours and have tried rebooting several times, no success. Somebody please help. What should i do now?

Re: Windows 8.1 wont turn on after installing Windows updates

Did you tried repairing your system? If not, you may need to do it now. Just insert the installation disk, boot from CD and select Automatic Repair. System will try to fix the problems automatically.

If you didn't received any installation disc with your system, probably you might have received Recovery disc with the same. Try to restore your system. I think it will restore your system back to Windows 8 but that will be the only choice if you are not able to boot with windows 8.1.

Yeah my laptop came pre-installed with Windows 8 and they only provided me its recovery disc. As you said I tried restoring the system using the same, now seems like I am having Windows 8 on my laptop. It booted for once after the recovery and there after again stuck with black screen. Today again it booted once. I left the PC one because may be it will stuck again after reboot. Is there any permanent fix to get rid of this issue? Please help.

That’s good you let it on. Now before it gets shutdown again, just try out the following steps:

• Start by pressing Windows+Q key together and select “This PC”.
    • Now Right click and click Properties > Advanced Settings > Hardware Tab.
    • Here click on Driver Installation settings. > and select “No, let me choose what to do” and “Never install driver software from Windows Updates”.
    • Apply the changes and let me know what happens next time when you boot the system

Hello Vis!Wa, if the laptop is still on I would suggest you to better perform System Refresh. You will get this under PC Settings. Probably this will fix all problems you have with the system.