Thread: Windows 8.1 Final version will be available from October 17th

Windows 8.1 Final version will be available from October 17th

Windows 8.1 was in preview state since past couple of months. It was installed by millions of people, some of them liked it while some of them hated. But it is a worth update. Unlike earlier windows this is not any service pack or something but a new operating system bring you several tweaks and features to the existing operating system. After being in testing for so long, finally Microsoft today announced that they will release this updated officially and in Final version of Windows 8.1 from October 17th this month. If you guys remember, they also released Windows 8 final version in the same month last year. The update will be completely free of existing Windows 8 users.

Re: Windows 8.1 Final version will be available from October 17th

Wow, thats really a good news. Thanks for sharing the same. I dont know about others, but i do liked this new operating system. Specially the Start Menu. By the way i have question regarding this.

As of now the Preview is available for free to all users whether anyone is using Windows 7 or 8. But will it be free with its final release as well? If no, what will be the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Slender View Post
    As of now the Preview is available for free to all users whether anyone is using Windows 7 or 8. But will it be free with its final release as well? If no, what will be the cost?
    Windows 8.1 will be completely free for only existing Windows 8 users. I don’t know about other windows operating system users. Also they said that 8.1 will be available through update, so I doubt if Windows 7 users can also get the update or they will be first require to upgrade to Windows 8.

We need to find this out .

Yeah, even I have the same question. I am using Windows 7 as of now. The only reason I didn’t updated to Windows 8 was because of the missing Start Menu. But as they introduced it back in 8.1, I didn’t updated here because it is still in development. But I have surely planned to upgrade to 8.1 when it comes in its Final edition. Now the question I have is, as you said it will be available through update, what you mean exactly? As far as I know, users are either download it from Windows Store which is not in Win7, OR they download the ISO file, for which you haven’t mentioned anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
    Now the question I have is, as you said it will be available through update, what you mean exactly? As far as I know, users are either download it from Windows Store which is not in Win7, OR they download the ISO file, for which you haven’t mentioned anything.
    I meant that Windows 8.1 final edition will be rolled out with Windows Updates. Users having Genuine Win8 copy will get this for free.

For other windows users, I am not sure if it will come through Windows Update. Probably they will release the downloadable ISO image which you will need to buy like we use to do with earlier windows.