Thread: Windows 8.1: Apps remain running in Task Manager after closing them

Windows 8.1: Apps remain running in Task Manager after closing them

This is the first time i am using Windows 8.1, dual booted it on another partition on my existing running Windows 8. Installation went fine without any problem and is also working good. But the only problem is even though i close the applications normally like we use to do in Windows 8, the apps show running in Task Manager. When i do Alt+Tab, i can still access them. Very similar to Android if i am not wrong were all opened apps are shown by long pressing Home Key and when you touch them, they launch back even though you have exited them earlier. Is it so, or am the apps wont close at all on my PC? Sounds like a problem?

Re: Windows 8.1: Apps remain running in Task Manager after closing them

Can i know how are you closing the applications?

If you are doing the same way as we use to do in Windows 8, then let me tell you that methods have been changed on Windows 8.1 for killing applications. Here you need to first drag the applications at the bottom of the screen and hold there for about a second or two. Now the application will be killed completely.

Try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by maq.h View Post
    you need to first drag the applications at the bottom of the screen and hold there for about a second or two. Now the application will be killed completely.
    Thank you very much for the help Maq. That really worked. Now the process wont appear in task Manager. I dont understand why Microsoft is making things so tricky.

Well I still use the same way as I used to in Windows 8 RTM. Simply press Alt+F4 key to kill the apps. By the way, can you tell me if this tricky way is going to remain in the final version of Windows 8.1 or is it just for testing purpose. If it is going to remain, then I will have to re-think to go for 8.1 Preview.

Who knows about this except Microsoft. May be they will keep as the default way of closing apps or they may remove it. We will come to know finally on October 17th when Microsoft will release the final edition of 8.1. Lets wait and watch.