Thread: Unable to eject LinuxLive Key from Windows 8

Unable to eject LinuxLive Key from Windows 8

My friend gave me his usb with movies on it.Now it is a LinuxLive USB. It is detected well, but when I try to eject it, it is not working. It shows me a message on the screen that the drive is still in use. I am unable to find any solution for that. Can I remove it directly. While that be safe. I just have to return it back. I hope there is no virus in the usb drive.

Re: Unable to eject LinuxLive Key from Windows 8

This is not a virus issue. Some application or service in your system is still using the pen drive due to which it is not ejecting. So for that the only thing you can do is simply log off your system and then remove it directly.

As your friend whether he needs that usb. You can format it. Usually this kind of thing does not happen. When you connect the pen drive, auto-run launches and it shows you all the menu and other details. Linux files live inactive in the background. They have nothing to do with Windows. LinuxLive is a utility that helps you to test a different set of Linux distros. So that there is no need to install it or mess with the setup. I had face this issue while installing some portable application in usb. This application comes with a text file editor, browser, etc. Whenever I try to eject them it gives a error on the screen and after formatting the pen drive goes back to normal . The first thing you have to check is the antivirus. Just see that whether it is not scanning the usb. Because it is a common behavior of a security tool. When you connect a removable media, it scans it and when you try to eject it gives you error. Do not remove it directly. There can be problem with the pen drive if you do that a number of time. There can be some kind of serious issue. Removing it after logging off is a good option for those drive who are stucked.

There can be chances of virus. Try to scan it first and then check back. Formatting is not the only solution. Go in Task Manager and terminated all unwanted services and then check back. I think that will be quiet enough to fix the issue.