Thread: Windows 8 Error 'A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding'

Windows 8 Error 'A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding'

I am using Windows 8 with recently launched Internet Explorer 11 Preview. System is working good but i have a problem while browsing internet on web browsers. I have IE as well as Chrome. But on both browsers, most of the time i use to get the following error message:

"A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete. Script: chrome://boater/content/script.js:80"

During this error my entire system freezes for about 5 minutes due to which i cannot do anything and need to sit idle. This is now getting too annoyed. Hope anyone of you can please tell me what and where is the problem? Many thanks.

Re: Windows 8 Error 'A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding'

I too have faced this exact error message on earlier Internet Explorer version, not IE 11 but i believe the troubleshooting steps should be same. In my case it was Internet Explorer 10 and this is how i managed to fix it. Just launch the browser, click Tools and click Internet Options. Here under Advanced Section, you will find an option saying 'Display a notification about every script error'. Just uncheck the box and save the settings.

Now go back to Internet Options and click Security Tab. here select Default Level and save the settings. Now restart the browser and see if you are still getting that error message.

Re: Windows 8 Error 'A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding'

Thank you very much jhon. That really helped me out after so many other troubleshooting and hours of time.

Help appreciated.

Hey guys, even i am looking for similar help. I am getting the same Script error on my Firefox v19. But I don’t have any such options in my firefox as mentioned above. So how can I fix this annoying problem on my PC? Though I have Internet Explorer on my system but I never used it. Somebody please provide me steps for firefox as well.

In Mozilla Firefox, most probably the cause of this error message use to be one or some of your Add-ons. I have seen many people facing this problem and they fixed it will managing their plug-ins.

So what you need to do is open Firefox, click Tools and click Add-ons. Here disable all Add-ons, re-enable them one by one and see which one of them is the culprit. Most of the times it use to be the Facebook plugin. Do you have any fb plug-in installed in your browser?

Quote Originally Posted by Bindu-I View Post
    So what you need to do is open Firefox, click Tools and click Add-ons. Here disable all Add-ons, re-enable them one by one and see which one of them is the culprit. Most of the times it use to be the Facebook plugin. Do you have any fb plug-in installed in your browser?
    Yes, I do have FB plugin also are there are more 33 plug-ins installed in my browser. After disabling them all, I didn’t received the error again but, as you said, it is a kind of hectic job to check them enabling one by one. Isn’t there any other alternate way to get rid of this problem?

The only alternate way is to reset your firefox browser. Note, it will delete everything such as history, all add-ons, your passwords, etc. If you agree to the same, here is how you can reset firefox.
    • Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
    • Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
    • Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
    • That’s it. Your Firefox will now open with all factory settings.