Thread: Activating Windows 8.1

Activating Windows 8.1

I recently dual booted my existing Windows 8 desktop with Windows 8.1 on second partition. Installation went fine, without any problem and the system is working great. However there are various things which i am not able to carry out on this new os because of the windows is not activated. For example when i try to use my Desktop wallpaper on start menu, it asks me to activate windows. There are few more such things which cannot be done unless i activate the system. But the problem is i dont know how to do the same?

Somebody please let me know as soon as possible how to activate Windows 8.1? Thank you very much.

Re: Activating Windows 8.1

In the history of Microsoft, Windows 8.1 has the most easiest and hassle free activation process. You can do it in minutes. Here is how:

• To start, slide in from the right side or take your mouse pointer to the top right corner of the monitor to bring up the charms bar.
    • Click or TAP on the Settings icon.
    • Now tap "Change PC settings"
    • Here you will find an option saying "Activate Windows"
    • Click on the same and select any one of the two options as shown in the image below:

Hope it helps.

I will be upgrading to 8.1 Preview this week probably. As this will be for testing purpose, i'll install it on a new Partition instead of overwriting my well going Windows 8. So i wanted to know if it requires any any Product Key for activation? If yes, how much does it costs and from where can i get it?

As Windows 8.1 is still in development mode, Microsoft has released the preview for testing purpose. Hence it is completely free. Infact when it will be released on October, it will remain for you as you are existing Windows 8 customer.

Now coming to the question, if you are installing it using the ISO Image, then yes you will need to enter the Product Key which is available for free officially. It is:
    NTTX3-RV7VB-T7X7F-WQYYY-9Y92F

For users who update to 8.1 directly from the Windows Store, will not require to enter the keys.