Thread: Bootable XP USB created via Komku failed to boot

Bootable XP USB created via Komku failed to boot

I am not able to create a bootable windows xp pen drive via Komku. I had seen a short guide on the web that shows me how to create a bootable usb disc via it. I am here trying to fix my netbook which has stopped working due to virus issue. And as there is no CD drive available I can only boot the same with the help of a usb drive. I am getting a some format error while using PeToUSB tool.

Re: Bootable XP USB created via Komku failed to boot

Try some other tools. If your netbook is having a good hardware config, then installing Windows 7 on it is far more better compare to Windows XP. Because you can create a bootable usb by windows 7 usb maker software. It is available on Microsoft website.

Komku has a big lenghtly process in building up a bootable usb. Now there is a problem here. You said that you are not having a optical drive. The next step after formatting the pen drive is providing the source of windows setup. Which is by default the optical drive. So for that it will recommend you to use the same on some different pc. Just copy the komku folder from C drive and move it on some other system. You have to simpl run the cd command to enter komku location and launch the required operation. Then keep the windows disd ready. Run PeToUSB software to format. The second thing I found on web after searching for information about this software, is it does not support usb over 2GB. that is the limitation of the tool. But still you can give a try out. If you are still getting formatting error then there are more options available to build a bootable windows xp usb drive. If you use any kind of utility then it is complicated to get it worked. But if you go with manual procedure then it might work fine for installing windows. You can use pebuilder to build a bootable usb. Here you just need to keep the iso file of Windows XP ready in your system. you can find a guide on the web which will guide you more about the same.

Simply arrange a usb dvd drive. That will do the job. Why are you wasting time in building up this separate stuff which can slow down the process. After formatting you can simply use a system disc image creator software which will generate a complete image pack of C drive which can be used in future for recovery purpose.

It is right that Komku has a limitation of formatting drive above 2GB. But there is one more thing you can try out. You can format the drive before only and do not use PetoUSB software. Launch komku via cmd and simply provide the proepr settings. The tool does not read iso files. You will need to extract all the files in a folder. You can use winrar for the same. Just right click on the tool and click on extract. That's all. It will extract all the files in the folder which can be used as the default source for building bootable usb. When komku ask you to provide the location you can go with the path where all files is kept. And then move ahead with copy. It will take around 15 to 20 minutes to get all the file copied in the usb drive. Once done you can then boot it from the usb. I skipped the formatting step and it worked. There was no issue with the same.