Thread: Windows 8 error 800705aa

Windows 8 error 800705aa

I am using a Windows 8 computer since past three months. This system was upgraded directly from Windows 7 64bit to Win 8 64bit. However i still dont have any problem with the system performance but have with Windows Update. Since i installed the same three months ago, so far dint ran update a single time. So day before yesterday i though to update the system as i was getting so many notifications for the same.

The problem starts here. Installation starts fine and downloads about 80 to 85 updates and then suddenly gives me an error message with an error code "800705aa". I tried restarting the system, booting it in safe mode but yet no success. Still the updates getting stuck on the same stage, trying to get it done from 2 days. Hope anyone of you can figure out what is the issue?

Re: Windows 8 error 800705aa

As far as i know this is an error related to Windows Update. Most probably one or multiple Windows Update components on your PC are having problems. You need to fix them. If you are not aware of this then better take help of Update Troubleshooter. It will scan the updates on your system and fixes them automatically.

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Troubleshooting in the search box, tapping or clicking Settings, and then tapping or clicking Troubleshooting. Under System and Security, tap or click Fix problems with Windows Update.

The issue occur due to damage Windows Update component. It can be fixed by system restore. There is no direct reason why suddenly Windows Update stops working. You can try running system restore. Restore your system to an older date. This does not touch your data, but it will remove the recently installed applications. And then try back to run Windows Update. If it still fails with the error then you can try installing all those updates manually. You can download them from Microsoft website and install it. This will be enough to fix the issue.

Before system restore here are few things you can do. First turn off your antivirus. Sometime a security suite interfere in your system and cause the update problem. You will need to turn the thing off so that it works well. Once updates are install you can re-enable it. I of this does not work then you can download. The link is provided below. Download the fix and run it in your system. And at last to see whether the issue does not come in future you can try using System File Checker. Launch CMD and in that type sfc /scannow and hit enter.