Thread: windows 8.1 slow bootup

windows 8.1 slow bootup

I have a desktop computer at home running with Intel Core i3, 4GB RAm and 1TB Sata Hard drive. I was running Windows 8 on this since past 6 months without any problem. Last week i installed Win 8.1 to test out before it gets into final version. The new OS worked great for first few days and i loved the new features and performance. But now, i dont know what went wrong, it takes about 4 to 5 minutes to boot up. As the system is new i even dont have idea what to troubleshoot. Though there are same applications installed which were available on my earlier win 8 but i never had slow bootup issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: windows 8.1 slow bootup

I dont have any such problem with my system (Win 8.1). Probably you might have several heavy applications which require to boot with system. You should manually disable them from startup by going to msconfig. Press Win+R key to bring up the command prompt. Type MSCONFIG followed by Enter. Go to Start Up tab and disable as many apps as possible. Restart the system, hopefully bootup time should be improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesenia View Post
    You should manually disable them from startup by going to msconfig. Press Win+R key to bring up the command prompt. Type MSCONFIG followed by Enter.
    Thanks for the help buddy, but that solution worked good only for two days. I means the system boot up was improved but now again to the same position like it was earlier. I dont know why the system gets slow after a day or two of making any change. I can see still those startup programs are disabled. Now what? Please help.

Well Windows 8.1 Preview is still Beta which means it is released for testing as it has several problems and bugs. The problem you are facing is one of those. So at the moment what I can suggest you is just do a System Refresh. This will only remove the installed applications but all your files will be untouch. System Refresh usually fixes most of the problems in Windows 8. You will find it under settings. Do the same and reply back if you still face the problem.

Though it was a hectic job, still I performed the System refresh as if I had to revert back I had no other choice than to re-install Windows 8. However your suggestion worked Author. Now the system seems to be working. Hope it remains this fast until the RTM release of 8.1.