Thread: Camera stopped working after Windows 8.1 update

Camera stopped working after Windows 8.1 update

I am having a Surface Pro tablet which never gave me any problem in the functionality. Two days ago i updated the same to new Windows 8.1. Process went fine without any issue. Now the tablet seems to be working far better than before with some new features of 8.1 but there is a problem s well. My Surface camera is now not working properly. Some time it just wont starts, sometimes if camera started, it reboots the entire system itself. While some times though it launches but remain too dark even if you are in a better light environment while some times the camera crashes.

So many problems and all this started after updating to 8.1. Also the problem is with both front and back camera. Did anyone else noticed the same? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Re: Camera stopped working after Windows 8.1 update

Sounds strange. I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga tablet which i updated recently with Windows 8.1 but i didn't faced any problem specially with camera. I think you should try doing "System Refresh" once, hopefully it should fix the problem. If you dont want to do the same, try running the troubleshooter. See if it makes any difference or provides you any hint about the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken+neth View Post
    I think you should try doing "System Refresh" once, hopefully it should fix the problem.
    I appreciate your help friend, but I just cannot do the system refresh because it has several paid third party applications whose license are no more with me. As you know if refresh the computer it will remove all those app and I will need to buy the license again.

Also I tried running the troubleshooter but that didn’t found anything. Camera still has the problem. Any other help please?

Hellp Kidman,

As far as I know Camera is the built-in application in Windows 8, and if you have any problem with any of these applications, Microsoft store notifies you the same. Did you got any such notification from the store? If not, then I think it is not the windows problem but instead it is your hardware itself. But to confirm the same, I will suggest you to download the following attachment and run. It is an official App diagnostic tool from MS that will analyze all your installed apps and let you know if there is any problem.

Let me know the results.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I had such problem with windows 8 email application. It uses to crash the system few times on launching. After doing lots of researches finally I found a workout that fixed the problem. Here is what you need to do. Open Microsoft store on your PC having the said problem, swipe in from the right edge or take your mouse to the top right of the display to bring the charm bar. Click on Settings and click App Update. If you are not logged in, enter your live ID and password. Wait for few minutes until system provides you the list of updates. You should be having the Camera update here. If yes, click the same and update. Now restart the system and launch camera. Hopefully it should work.

Thank you very much vivan and stephenx. First I ran that attached diagnostic tool while given me some hint about the camera problem and as satated by vivan there was an update which fixed the problem after updating. Help appreciated.