Thread: sync phone via Bluetooth in windows 8

sync phone via Bluetooth in windows 8

I recently bought a brand new Sony VAIO laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed. I never had any problem with the system's functionality but got one yesterday while trying to sync my smartphone over bluetooth with this laptop. I have turned on bluetooth on both devices, first i received something on windows saying i need to add this device to trust list but later it is no more able to see my phone. However i smartphone still see the laptop in Bluetooth devices. Any idea where is the problem? Am i doing something wrong? Please assist.

Re: sync phone via Bluetooth in windows 8

Hello Ulupy,

before i can suggest you any workout for the same i need to know few things:
    1. What is the make/model of your smartphone?
    2. Do you have any PC Suite installed on your computer?
    3. What was the complete message you were getting on screen?

It is Nokia Lumia 920 and I don’t have any PC Suite installed for the same. But when I connect the phone via USB cable it opens up a window saying download Windows Phone 8 Tool. I have installed the tool but it is not a PC Suite. Secondly, I don’t remember the complete error message, I will need to repeat the process again to get that message. If you want I can give you the same later when I reach home. Until then if you can provide me any solution with these information, it will be great.

The reason why you are asked to add the phone as trusted device is because you are going to sync Windows 8 information with your mobile and vice versa. With the new W8 operating system Microsoft has increased the security level and hence you need to add every account associated with your live account to be added as a Trusted device. Here is the definition of “Trusted Device” From Microsoft:

“You can designate a PC or other device (like a Windows Phone, a Surface, or another tablet), as a trusted device to use with your Microsoft account. When you use a trusted device to perform sensitive actions like resetting your password or managing your billing info, you can automatically verify your identity without having to enter a security code each time.”

So go ahead and add the device as trusted device. If you are logged in with the same live account on both Mobile and the computer, I don’t think you should get that problem again.

Well I appreciate you helps guys but I think you didn’t understood my issue properly. I have clearly mentioned in my first post that My laptop is now not able to see my phone anymore. Then how can I sync it? Forget the trusted device and please let me know how do you sync phones with windows 8 over Bluetooth?

First of all restart the laptop, make sure Bluetooth is turned on the laptop. Install Zune on your laptop. Now make sure Bluetooth is on and is in visible mode on your lumia. Launch Zune and select the connection mode as Bluetooth. Let it search the phone. Once found Lumia 920, tap or click on the same and it should be connected. You can also sync lumia with your PC on wifi.