Thread: Windows 8.1 Preview error “You need to install one or more updates to your firmware or device drivers”

Windows 8.1 Preview error “You need to install one or more updates to your firmware or device drivers”

I am having Windows 8 on Dell Inspiron laptop. As they have no released the Windows 8.1 Preview i would like to upgrade my current system to the same but when i download it from Windows Store, it downloads fine but later i get an error message saying:

“You need to install one or more updates to your firmware or device drivers. Open Windows Update, install all available updates, and then try installing Windows 8.1 Preview again.”

I tried upgrade process more than 5 times but it gets failed every time with the same error. I dont know which firmware or which device driver is it asking me to? Can anyone please provide me some info on the same?

Re: Windows 8.1 Preview error “You need to install one or more updates to your firmware or device drivers”

Is your Dell Inspiron laptop updated with all new drivers and firmware? If not, you will surely get that error message while updating to 8.1. The problem is not with just Dell but with other brands as well such as Lenovo, Asus, Samsung and HP. Probably with Tablet editions of Windows 8. Hence what you need to do is check for the firmware update, if it is available update it. Also update all your drivers and then try to install Win 8.1. Hopefully you wont be getting any more errors.

Re: Windows 8.1 Preview error “You need to install one or more updates to your firmware or device drivers”

I appreciate your great help buddy. However there was no update for firmwares but i updated few drivers on my system and now i successfully installed Windows 8.1. Thanks for the same. However i would like to say this new 8.1 OS is not as good as i was expecting. Still few problems. MS need to work more on it.

Glad to hear that you fixed the problem. Here is a note for users running Windows 8 on Intel’s 32-bit Atom System-On-Chip (SoC) processors and willing to update to Windows 8.1. There are new drivers released recently which should be installed on your computers in order to get rid of the said error message or to get 8.1 installed comfortably. You can get the drivers from the manufacturer’s website or directly from windows updates.