Thread: Dual boot with Windows 8.1 Preview

Dual boot with Windows 8.1 Preview

Finally we have a operating system back with Start Menu. I am very happy to see Microsoft putting back the Start button in Windows 8, no matter they named it as Win 8.1. Anyways, now why i am here is because i am using a Windows 8 OS and want to test 8.1 as well before i actually update it on my existing system. So i wanted to know if it is possible?

Because i can see the Download in MS Market place but i guess it will directly overwrite my existing os, right? So how can i install it on my another partition? Thanks for your helps.

Re: Dual boot with Windows 8.1 Preview

You can do it in the same way as we do for other operating systems, by creating a new partition on your hard drive and installing second OS on the same. For doing this you will require ISO image file of Windows 8.1 which you cannot get from Market place. Simply download the Windows 8.1 ISO file from here, save it on hard drive, burn it on DVD and install on the second partition. Let me know if you require any things else.

I have downloaded the ISO file and saved on my hard drive. Sorry to reply so late but as you know the size of ISO was huge and i have slow bandwidth broadband connection. Anyways, now when i run the ISO it wont ask me for the partition and wants to overwrite the existing C driver where Windows 8 is installed. What should i do know? Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ojayit View Post
    Anyways, now when i run the ISO it wont ask me for the partition and wants to overwrite the existing C driver where Windows 8 is installed. What should i do know? Any help would be appreciated.
    Hello Ojayit, running ISO images directly may give you such problems, that’s normal. Hence you should always try to burn the images on DVD first as bootable disc and then install from the disc itself. Now you will get the options to format drivers, create partitions, and all that.

By the way, did you created a separate partition for Windows 8.1? If not, check the following guide’s first post showing step by step process with pictures to create partition: Dual Booting Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Windows 7

Ok, so that was the problem (running directly from ISO). Thanks for the help Ray. As per your suggestions I burned it to a DVD and now installation went fine. Yes, I had created the partition already, thanks for the link though.