Thread: Very slow copy paste in windows 8

Very slow copy paste in windows 8

I am having a desktop computer with Core i7, 8GB of RAM, Intel SSD 520 with Windows 8. I installed the new OS recently on this computer. Performance is good but i am facing problem in file transfer. Actually while copy pasting files from one place to another on the same drive or while copy/pasting from any external drive to PC.

I also have another desktop with exactly the same configuration but it is running Windows 7 ultimate. Now if i copy a folder of about 100mb in size containing the same files on both computers, windows 7 takes less than a minute but windows 8 takes over 2 minutes for the same. Is it just me or all Win8 users have the same problem?

However i dont think the problem is with my configuration because file transfer works fine with Win7 but the problem is only with Windows 8. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Very slow copy paste in windows 8

I am having a Windows 8 laptop too but i didn't found such slow copy paste on my system. Infact i can copy 1Gb file in less than 5 minutes. So i dont think the problem is with the operating system but probably would be with your SSD. You should try checking the same using Intel SSD tools. There are some tools for analyzing the SSDs. See if it can fix the problems. Apart from this also try running the WEI score in system properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahanth View Post
    You should try checking the same using Intel SSD tools. There are some tools for analyzing the SSDs. See if it can fix the problems. Apart from this also try running the WEI score in system properties.
    Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the help Mahanth. I have already tried running several diagnostic third party tools as well as built-in tools but yet no success. Also tried running the WEI score and it says i have over 6.7 rating. Tried many things more for fixing this problem but no success so far.

Any other help please?

Not sure what could be the problem but here are few things you need to give a try. First of all make sure you have the latest Sata Drivers installed on your computer. Better try to get the new drivers from HDD manufacturer's website and install. See if it makes any difference. Also let me tell you that many times your antiviruses can also create the problem. Hence just to confirm, disable the antivirus and try copying anything. See if it makes any difference.

This is not the problem of Windows but something else because there are millions of windows 8 users and very few of them have reported this issue. SO what I can suggest you is better try cleaning out your system and re-install the entire windows again with all new hard drive and other drivers.

Hopefully it should fix the problem