Thread: Unable to open any libraries in Windows 8

Unable to open any libraries in Windows 8

I am using Windows 8 since a long time on my desktop, never had any problem. Two days i ran Windows Update and installed all patches that i found in the list. Still i dint had any problems with the system until yesterday night. Today morning when i booted up the system again, i found few problems with my Libraries. Well it contains, several important documents, Photos, Music, etc. When i double click to open any of these folders from the library, nothing happens.

To make sure it is not corrupted i tried checking the properties. When i right clicked and selected properties, the properties window took about 30 to 40 seconds to come and that also saying "properties for this item are not available". What is it? There are several files saved in the library folders. Even when i try to access these files from another places for example Metro Photo app to access the photos from my library folder, it wont load the pictures.

Any idea where and what is wrong? Please help to fix the same. It contains important files.

Re: Unable to open any libraries in Windows 8

I dont think Windows Updates would be the cause of problems. Probably according to the situation to me it seems like some of your System files would have been damaged or corrupt due to which you are facing this problem. So what you need to do is try running System File Checker. Hopefully it should fix the problem. You can run the file checker by running "sfc /scannow" command. To bring up the command bar you need to type "CMD" on start screen, right click Command Prompt from the result and click Run as Administrator. Type the above command and press Enter. Now wait for some time and let the tool check system files. If anything is Wrong it will fix it on its own.

Help appreciated Christina. As per your suggestion I ran the System File Checker, it did took long time to analyze and fix the problem but still the problem remains. I am still not able to access my library files.

Any other helps please?

The best fix I can provide you for this is System Restore. Just restore your system back to the date earlier when the problem started or simply restore it to the date before you ran Windows Update last time. If there was any problem due to the windows update, system restore will fix the same.

Hello Ivey,

I have been through this problem earlier. Infact exactly the same situation as you mentioned above. I was having several important documents and files which turned inaccessible. I tried several things on my won out of which 1 did the trick. Well it will sound risky but that is what worked for me. What I did was deleted everything from the libraries, including videos, music, pictures and documents. And then Right click from the left pane and select “Restore”. Guess what Library became accessible and surprisingly all my videos as well were available at their place. Yes, restoring doesn’t deleted a single file. If you want you can give it a try.

Thank you very much for all your helps guys. I just tried Restoring the System to earlier date where it was in working state and all problems solved. Just wanted to let you know.

Helps appreciated.