Thread: Unable to access Bios of Lenovo G580 preinstalled with Windows 8

Unable to access Bios of Lenovo G580 preinstalled with Windows 8

I am not sure whether it is Windows problem or the laptop itself. I bought a new Lenovo G580 laptop about a month ago that came pre-installed with Windows 8. Now as i have connected an external keyboard to the laptop, it is not working. I think the support is disable from the BIOS. Hence i want to enable the same but system is not allowing me to enter BIOS.

I never faced any such problem with other laptops. It is just with this laptop but as i it is the first time i am using Win8, i doubt if it is the OS problem. Any idea?

Re: Unable to access Bios of Lenovo G580 preinstalled with Windows 8

I dont understand how Windows 8 is related into this problem. BIOS is the part of Motherboard, operating system doesn't have to do anything in this. Can you just tell me how are you trying to access the BIOS? Probably you might be tapping wrong button. For Lenovo G580, you need to tap F2 key just after the Lenovo logo to enter the BIOS.

Try it out again and let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Author View Post
    For Lenovo G580, you need to tap F2 key just after the Lenovo logo to enter the BIOS.
    Ok sorry, let me explain the situation properly. I know BIOS can be accessed by tapping F2 key on this laptop but that is what I am not getting to do. Actually last week I disabled the system’s hibernation due to some reason due to which I have very less time between the Lenovo Logo and Windows boot up. Hope you understand. Just after the Lenovo logo appears during boot up, it goes to Wndows boot. That means I have no time to tap F2 to get into bios. What to do in this case?

What happens when you just keep pressing F2 key right from booting up the laptop. I mean just start and keep pressing F2 right before the logo appears. Does it takes you to the BIOS? I hope it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Author View Post
    I dont understand how Windows 8 is related into this problem. BIOS is the part of Motherboard, operating system doesn't have to do anything in this.
    Well it is Windows 8 dude, and it is known as UEFI mode. Hope you know it, if not, Google it. It is a kind of new feature in Windows 8 Which when enabled and you do cold boot of the system, BIOS will just not appear. Here is something useful for you: How to Switch from BIOS-Compatibility Mode to UEFI Mode http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../hh825112.aspx

Let me know if you need anything more on this.

i have lenovo G580 with preinstalled win8. when i power up my laptop it asks for bios password, however i had never entered any bios password neither changed any hardware of it. I have tried to remove CMOS battery for 5 min. with power adapter unplugged & also the battery pack was removed.

Quote Originally Posted by mhatredeven05@gmail. View Post
    i have lenovo G580 with preinstalled win8. when i power up my laptop it asks for bios password, however i had never entered any bios password neither changed any hardware of it. I have tried to remove CMOS battery for 5 min. with power adapter unplugged & also the battery pack was removed.
    Follow the below steps:

1. Try to remove the hard disk and do a reset by draining the power (press power button for 10 seconds without battery and AC adapter).
    2. Try to enter bios using F2 key.

If you are successful in entering the bios, Load up Bios default settings by F8 key within BIOS. Connect the Hard drive back and check again if you are able to access BIOS by pressing F2 key.

If the steps above didn't fix the issue, Bios will need to be re-flashed.

Source: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht075709