Thread: transfer preinstalled Windows 8 on new hard drive

transfer preinstalled Windows 8 on new hard drive

I bought a new laptop that came with Windows 8 preinstalled on it. I am going to buy a new hard drive and I am looking to make a factory restore disk on this new HDD. I will also remove the old hard drive and replace it with new one and wanted to know if I can use the same preinstalled Windows 8 on new HDD with the laptop? But I dont know how to create factory restore disks. Can anyone tell me whether this is possible to do or not? Thanks.

Re: transfer preinstalled Windows 8 on new hard drive

I think that your laptop might have a recovery partition and incase you want to image/ghost/copy and transfer the same partition, then you might have to use it to install Windows 8 with AHCI enabled. But it will be only possible if the BIOS of your motherboard supports AHCI mode or it will be a difficult task.

Well, you can try to use Clonezilla which is a program running as a Ghost software. Indeed, it has the particularity to back up and restore most of 5GB of disk space in all simplicity and within 10 minutes. Fully designed for POSIX systems (Linux, BSD, Unix), you can simply burn it to a CD and restart the computer to perform the necessary backup or restore your hard disk operations. You can simply ghost the Windows 8 from your old hard drive and then install it on the new hard drive. Also, it supports many file systems like - ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs, jfs of GNU/Linux, and FAT, NTFS of MS Windows.

Well, you can try to create a System Image of your Windows 8 computer. To create a custom image, use the Recimg.exe command-line tool that is included in Windows 8. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Create a destination folder for the custom image. For example, create a folder named "Refreshimage" on drive C.
      Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, follow these steps:
    2. On the Start page, type cmd, press and hold or right-click Command Prompt, and then tap or click Run as administrator.
    3. Type the following command, and then press Enter:
      recimg -CreateImage drive:\folder
      For example, if you create "C:\Refreshimage" in step 1, run the following command:
      recimg -CreateImage C:\Refreshimage

More information is given over here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2748351