Thread: Unable to install Windows 8, getting blue screen with irql_not_less_or_equal

Unable to install Windows 8, getting blue screen with irql_not_less_or_equal

I am Acer Notebook running with Windows 7. Finally i decided to upgrade the notebook to new Win8. Bought a 64bit copy of Windows 8 from Microsoft. I inserted the installation disc, restart the laptop, boot from CD and selected to do clean Custom install. The setup process starts properly but when it reaches around 60 to 65%, suddenly i get a BSOD with error message saying:

"IRQL Not Less Than or Equal"

I tried running the setup four to five times but every time it gets failed with the same error message. Any idea what is wrong and how can i fix it? Somebody please help me soon because i have already formatted the C drive and there is no OS at the present in this laptop.

Re: Unable to install Windows 8, getting blue screen with irql_not_less_or_equal

Most probably the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Error occurs due to any thirdparty application or a faulty driver. So what you need to do here is take the minidum file that is generated with all BSODs on windows. Download a software called "BlueScreenView" and install it on any PC. Open the Minidump file with this application. This will let you know the culprit application or the driver which is causing the BSOD.

Once you found the cause, restart your laptop where you facing the IRQL error, enter Safe Mode and delete those culprit Software or faulty driver from the system. Once done, restart the system and Windows 8 Setup. Hopefully you should not get the error anymore.

Re: Unable to install Windows 8, getting blue screen with irql_not_less_or_equal

Quote Originally Posted by Kanshin View Post
    The setup process starts properly but when it reaches around 60 to 65%, suddenly i get a BSOD with error message saying:

"IRQL Not Less Than or Equal"
    You should always post the complete error message that you receive on the Blue Screen because that contains several more information about the cause of the error. As you have posted just the partial error message, it is very difficult to understand the problem. Just try out the steps mentioned above and if that doesn’t works, and you get BSOD again, better note down the complete error and post it here.

There are several ways of fixing IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Error but that depends on the complete error message. As you haven’t posted the complete error, the first thing you need to try out is update the system Drivers, Most importantly the chipset drivers along with your BIOS. Once done, just go through the following steps:
    • Restart the computer and enter boot menu by pressing F10 key. (Note, usually it use to be F12 in most of the motherboards but may differ in few models. Hence tap properly.)
    • Enter your Windows 8 media disc in CD/DVD drive and select DVD drive from the boot menu.
    • Now boot from the CD.
    • After selecting the language and time, you will get option to Repair the System.
    • Now simply click on Troubleshooting > Advanced option > Automatic repair.

Let the system repair the faults. It may take few minutes depending on the problem. Once done, system will restart itself. See if you still getting the issue.

Thank you very much for the helps guys. I managed to fix the issue and installed Windows 8. Actually I am not sure whether the problem was really with the installation disc but what I did was copied the DVD using nero and burned it to new DVD and installed using the same. Fortunately there was no error and setup went fine. Note, I updated the drivers for the system before trying out this.