Thread: Windows 8 stuck at automatic repair loop

Windows 8 stuck at automatic repair loop

I bought this MSI laptop about 5 months ago with Windows 8. I keep this system updated with all Windows Updates patches, drivers and all. It worked fine until day before yesterday when i turned off the laptop and went to sleep. Since yesterday morning when i started the laptop i saw the MSI logo, then the bios screen and after this the screen went black for about 5 minutes. Well i waited to see what's happening. After the black screen what i saw was a message saying "Automatic Repair, Diagnosing".

As i have several important data stored on the desktop itself, i dont wanted to take risk and restarted the laptop again. But still the same process repeated and is going on until now. Though i finally allowed the system to repair itself, it wont complete the repairing process and restarts automatically.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Windows 8 stuck at automatic repair loop

If the system is trying to “Automatic Repair” (as you said) but getting failed every time, then simply force it to repair the system manually. You can do the by following these few simple steps:
    • Restart your computer and keep pressing Shift + F8 key. This will take you to recovery screen
    • Here click on “See advanced repair options”
    • Now click "Troubleshoot" > then click "Advanced Options"
    • Now from the next window click “Windows Startup Settings”
    • Now click on "Restart" and let Windows do its job.

Well it may be BIOS problem as well. You should try resetting the laptop if the above steps won’t work for you. You can do this by powering down the lappy, remove its battery, wait for about 3 to 4 minutes, and reconnect it back. Start the laptop and see if it fixes the problem.

If still not, then as you said the laptop is just 5 months old, you should take it to MSI Service Center and they will fix it for free as the laptop is still under warranty.

I appreciate your helps guys, but sorry to say none of those fixes worked. Yes, I tried troubleshooting windows startup as well as tried resetting the laptop by removing the battery. Guess what, still at the same loop.

Any other help please.

Both solutions provided above should have fixed the problem as the first one is to fix if something was wrong in Windows and second one shuld have fixed if something was wrong from laptop’s end. But as both didn’t work for you, I am sure it is a MBR issue. Yes, your MBR is corrupt. Here is what you need to do:
    • Insert your Windows 8 installation CD and restart the system
    • Select “Repair your computer” from the installation window
    • Now click Troubleshoot > Advanced Option
    • Here click on Command Prompt and type the below commands one by one followed by Enter :

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bcdedit /set {default} onetimeadvancedoptions on

Once done, restart the computer and see if the problem is gone.

Thank you very much for sharing these steps Orton. That fixed the issue. My laptop now boot fine without any problem.

Appreciated.