Thread: Getting "Access Denied" error on every folder in Windows 8

Getting "Access Denied" error on every folder in Windows 8

Whenever I try to open any folder I am getting a access denied error. It is giving me problem for almost anything. I am not able to access files inside the folder on my desktop. I need help here to fix the same. I cannot even copy paste my data. I am having a Windows 8 laptop. I am using MSE as the only antivirus in the system. Can anyone provide me some help in dealing with the issue. I am not able to do anything here. Thanks in advance.

Re: Getting "Access Denied" error on every folder in Windows 8

The issue lies with file permission. It looks like you are working in a limited account. You have to login in the admin to modify the same. For that just log off your system rightnow and then enter the admin login details. Later on you will be able to access files.

This is a file permission issue. You will have to check the same properly. A month ago I used a pen drive which was loaded with virus. I connected that to my laptop and the antivirus asked me to scan. I ignored the same. Now after some weeks the entire system started freezing. I was not able to open any folders. Whenever I click on them nothing happens. Then checked the folder details and found they are turned to .exe file. Every folder was having the same type of folder inside it with the same name, but it was executable. It was really complicated to backup all the data here. I had used a live disc for the same. The data backup went well and then I formatted the complete system. I removed everything from it and it started working fine. There is no issue at all. There are some serious virus which can completely damage your files causing serious bugs. You have to take care by keeping a good antivirus in your system. Rightnow I do not think there is any other antivirus available which can restore the file permission. You have to backup your data using a bootable live cd and then format your system.

If you are having a admin account in your system then it is possible to restore the permission. You can login to the admin account and change folder permission on your desktop manually. Try to add a good antivirus also. MSE is just good enough for malware only.

Your system is screwed up. There is nothing you can do. You can try typing the folder location manually. You just need to type the complete address in top address bar. Like C:C:\Users\Desktop\folder name. If that opens up then you can copy the files and paste it somewhere. There is a simple solution but that is not reliable. It is not going to work for long time. You will need to run system restore here. System restore is capable of reverting back the old settings for some time. You can just instantly backup your data, and run a full system format. I will not recommend you system repair. Because there is already virus in your pc and clean formatting will only wipe it out. There are some good bootable antivirus scanner available which can help you. Like AVG Rescue CD. Just download the iso file and burn the same on a dvd. Boot your pc through the rescue disc and scan it. There are chances that your old system settings might be restored through it. It is better if you do this instantly after system restore.

Windows is missing a utility to fix file permission. Virus simply modifies that first in-order to block access to the security applications. I am simply trying to locate a ready to use tool that offer me to fix this instantly by some kind of scanning process.

That features is also not available on popular antivirus. But there is a tiny utility available that can help you to fix the issue. I do not guarantee that this will really work, but somehow it is capable of fixing issue with file permission. You just have to download and run the same. If this does not work then as mentioned above you have more options. File permission can be only modified through the account which has full access to the system. Limited access means there is nothing you can do. Nor there is any rescue cd available which can fix it. A temporary system repair will do the job. It will restore the file permission but it will not wipe out the virus. So at-least you will get access to the folders and you can just backup your data. The next thing you have to do is format your pc and install Windows from scratch. Do not forget to install a good antivirus in your pc. This will keep your system secure from this kind of problems.

Windows File Permission Repair Utility

Repair setup works in my case. I am having lots of video files and due to virus the folder was having the same file permission issue. I ran a repair setup and things are resolved now. I installed Norton on my system which looks to be working fine here.