Thread: Cannot receive emails after installing latest version of Windows Mail in Windows 8

Cannot receive emails after installing latest version of Windows Mail in Windows 8

Hi,

I am using Windows 8 with Windows Mail as my default email client with several POP accounts. It was all working great since i bought the laptop about 6 months ago. Now couple of days ago i received a notification saying "there is an update available for Windows Mail, do you like to download" or very similar to this. I said Ok, and allowed the download. Installed the latest version which went fine without any problem.

So here starts the problem. The day when i installed the updated version, i dint received any mail. I dint noticed that time but later when i received few calls from colleagues then i realized that actually the problem is with my mail client. It is not able to download any mail. I even tried sending a test mail from my another account which dint hit my inbox so far.

Any idea what has gone wrong and how can i fix it? Many thanks.

Re: Cannot receive emails after installing latest version of Windows Mail in Windows 8

Can you just tell me the exact version of the newly updated Windows Mail? Is it version 17.0.1114.318? If yes, then let me tell you that that this new version has some bugs that still Microsoft is trying to resolve or i guess they might have resolved it as of now. I have seen many guys facing the same problem after upgrading to the above mentioned version but later they updated their system with Windows update and the problem gets solved.

It seems like you dont run Windows Update. Run it now and install all recent patches. One of them is to fix the Mail problem as well.

Re: Cannot receive emails after installing latest version of Windows Mail in Windows 8

Yeah, that is absolutely correct. Even i have read on some Microsoft website saying that they are aware of the problem with the latest version (17.0) of Windows Mail and they were about to release an important update through Windows Update that will fix the problem. As i am not using Windows Mail anymore i dont know whether the update is released or not but you should check for the same. If still the update is not available and you facing the same problem, better try re-installing the application. Hopefully it should fix the problem.

I appreciate both of your help attempts guys, but unfortunately i am still with the problem. In past two days i have tried running and installing Windows Updates more than 3 times but yet the problem remained. Finally i even tried re-installing the software but guess what, issue still remains there. It just dont want to download the new emails.

What now?

Do you have Noroton installed on your system? Or any other third party Firewalls? If yes, then you must disable them because these security suites very well known to create such problems with mails. Disable all third party firewalls except Windows Firewall. Allow Live Mail from Windows Firewall. Hope it helps.