Thread: No display on Media Extender on Windows 8

No display on Media Extender on Windows 8

I am building my own HTPC. I am having a desktop on which I had installed Windows 8. Before there was Windows 7. I had tested HTPC on windows 7 first with few options and it worked great. I had an media extender which is connected to the pc. I thought upgrading to Windows 8 will offer me more benefits in terms of performance and features. But after that there is no display on the extender at all. It looks Windows 8 is not identifying the hardware. What should I do. I cannot go back on Windows 7 now.

Re: No display on Media Extender on Windows 8

Looks like issue with hardware compatibility. Microsoft is having a website that gives you detail to find out. There can be some problem with the connectivity or video drivers due to which the system is not able to identify the extender. What is the model of that that device.

The most you can do if nothing works is install Windows 7 on a second partition in your pc. Just dual boot the same and then check back. I am sure that will be quiet enough for you.

My HTPC also stopped working after Windows 8 upgrade. It looks this new OS still need lots of bugs fixes. I am trying to locate a proper solution. My issues lies with a internal TV tuner card. It is almost more than 2 year old and now there is a problem with the connectivity. It is a bit complicated for me to collect proper drivers here and I am completely relying on Windows update. That looks to be working really slow. I hope there will be separate drivers for the same.

Try to work on your system from scratch. Like connection the cables and then installing the hardware back again. It is possible to use Windows 7 drivers on Windows 8 but the new OS is really not so stable as expected. It has issue with HP Media Extenders mostly. That is why my pc instead of removing Windows 7 I installed Windows 8 on the other partition. Just for testing purpose. My existing system settings looks to be working fine here.