Thread: Not able to sign in to Windows 8 with Microsoft Account

Not able to sign in to Windows 8 with Microsoft Account

I have installed Windows 8 in my laptop successfully but I am not able to sign in to Windows 8 with Microsoft Account. I get an error message saying “Incorrect password”. I am quite sure that I am entering the right password. In fact I don’t have any issue in signing in Hotmail on other PC. So there is something wrong with my freshly installed windows 8 and not my account. I had not received any kind of error message while installing windows 8 and everything went smoothly, I am not able to make out what might be causing this issue. I want to know if there is anything I can try our rather than reinstalling windows 8?

Re: Not able to sign in to Windows 8 with Microsoft Account

That’s weird, since you have mentioned that you have made fresh installation of windows 8 even I can’t think of anything that might be causing this issue. I want to know if you have made clean installation or you have upgraded over windows 7???

I guess your Keyboard Language Layout might have got mismatch. You might be entering the right password but because of the Keyboard Language Layout mismatch you are getting an error message saying that you have entered Incorrect ID and password. In that case cross check which keyboard language layout is displayed in lower-right of sign-in screen, it should be left to the power screen. So if it is displaying some other language, than set it to the right one restarts your system and try signing in again. If that works then well and good, if it doesn’t then reinstalling windows 8 will be a better idea.

I have made clean installation of windows 8 and I don’t think it’s a Keyboard Language Layout problem. I don’t even see anything displaying “keyboard language layout” left to the power screen. It has a keyboard icon but nothing happens when I click on it. I am not sure if I was asked to choose a language while installing windows 8. Anyways is there any other setting that I need to check out???

If your password have some special characters you might get these problems... this is a simple issue and you might have already checked that...but stiil in Win 8 you have an option to view your password at the right corner of the password box looks like an eye symbol..try to click on that and check if your special characters have entered correctly...as the keyboard layout will differ for each and every country...again this is a simple sol and you might have tried.. if not try that.

Since you have mentioned that you can sign in to your Microsoft Account on other systems without any issues. I will suggest you to sign in on other system, change the password and try signing in again on your win 8 laptop. I am not sure if that would make any difference or not but you can surely give it a try. Do try it out and post back if that helps. Even I have installed windows 8 recently and as far as I am aware I was asked for choosing a language while installing it. Did you missed that part or you are just not sure about it??? In case you are not sure and changing the password doesn’t make any difference then as suggested by others reinstall windows 8.

There are many people who have complained about this issue. One of the most common issues is Webroot anti-virus software. Webroot prior to version 8.0.2.79 has been found to remove some core Windows 8 registry entries because of which users are blocked while signing in with their Microsoft account. In order to fix this issue you will have to update Webroot.
    Since you are not able to log in, you will have to create a local administrator and update your Webroot anti-virus to the latest available version. Just make sure that you are rebooting your system after updating Webroot anti-virus, hope that helps.