Thread: two different kind of windows boot

two different kind of windows boot

Hi guys..

i have win 8 and ubuntu in dual boot..so each time i boot my pc I get a boot screen which has the normal WITHOUT GUI, os options with it's default are normal and on my very next reboot I get another boot screen which is a GUI version of Win 8. So this is changing automatically each time.

So no problem in booting and accessing the operating system..but getting two different kind of boot.

Steps followed: uncheck the show GUI under msconfig boot menu. Also tried using Easy bcd with no avail..any help would be good

Re: two different kind of windows boot

It could be that your GRUB configuration might be having a BIOS/legacy-style boot entry for Windows, but your system might be booting in EFI mode. You can try to create your own custom Windows boot entry for GRUB in /etc/grub.d/40_custom to solve this issue.

Code:
    menuentry "Windows 7" {
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod chain
        set root='(hd0,gpt7)'
        chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }
    After making this entry, type sudo update-grub to transfer it to the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file

I will try that... but if that is the case then may I know why the Windows 8 GUI boot menu appears simultaneously..any idea why??

Actually, the Windows 8 GUI boot menu appears simultaneoulsy because you have a dual boot system, and you get the choice to choose which one you want to boot to, anyways you can also try the below method and see if that works:

1. First of all start from the Windows 8 installation medium.
    2. After that optionally, choose your keyboard settings.
    3. Now you have to hit Shift+F10 to enter the command prompt.
    4. You will then need to execute bootrec /fixmbr to update the main boot record just to be sure, partitions will remain.
    5. After that execute bootrec /fixboot to update the boot sector of the system partition.
    6. Now you have to execute bootrec /scanos to add known OSes to the boot configuration data.

Quote Originally Posted by james_911 View Post
    Actually, the Windows 8 GUI boot menu appears simultaneoulsy because you have a dual boot system, and you get the choice to choose which one you want to boot to, anyways you can also try the below method and see if that works:

1. First of all start from the Windows 8 installation medium.
    2. After that optionally, choose your keyboard settings.
    3. Now you have to hit Shift+F10 to enter the command prompt.
    4. You will then need to execute bootrec /fixmbr to update the main boot record just to be sure, partitions will remain.
    5. After that execute bootrec /fixboot to update the boot sector of the system partition.
    6. Now you have to execute bootrec /scanos to add known OSes to the boot configuration data.
    Okay, but the term simultaneously here means Dual boot with GUI first and Dual boot with out GUI..so these two kind of boot menu appears on each reboot. to have a better idea let me post the screens shortly

I found out the reason, actually what happens is that if you get the Windows 8 graphical boot menu then if selecting another operating system and not Windows 8 from that gui requires a restart. Incase you added boot menu entries with easybcd - you will be getting the text boot menu and not the Windows 8 gui in any ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
    I found out the reason, actually what happens is that if you get the Windows 8 graphical boot menu then if selecting another operating system and not Windows 8 from that gui requires a restart. Incase you added boot menu entries with easybcd - you will be getting the text boot menu and not the Windows 8 gui in any ways.
    Yes..you are correct...but I have added the boot menu using Easy BCD..after that am getting these two different kind of boot screen...any fix for this and the above steps doesn't work

Actually, the Windows 8 boot loader makes you to restart the pc even if you try to start any other Operating System. It is required by the OS by default to let you to use anything other than Windows 8. If you had any other OS like Windows 7 then its boot loaded will not require a restart, even though you choose any other OS, so this is a designed by default, you can say.

Okay, if that is the case I have used Windows 7 and Ubuntu previously and I haven't received any problem like that..so you say that it's the default conf on Win 8?

got the fix by myself after several uninstall and reinstall
    So when I got the NON GUI boot menu I go to msconfig >>boot tab and choose " No GUI " option and then choose " Make all boot settings permanent " so by selecting those two worked like charm...so removed easy bcd!!! thanks guys

Glad that you have sorted the issue, now any other user who is having same problem will be able to solve similar kind of problem as well.