Thread: Arrow keys doesnt work during windows vista startup

Arrow keys doesnt work during windows vista startup

It has been quite a few months since I had installed vista in my system and things were working fine. Last night I had installed avast antivirus, I did not had any issue in installing it. However, today morning when I started my system, I came up with blue screen. I am sure that the cause of this issue is avast antivirus, that’s the only change I have made in my system this week. Anyways worst situation is that Arrow keys are not working during windows vista startup because of which I am not able to select “Last Known Good Configuration”. Currently I am just stuck in infinite loop of bsod’s as windows pretend to start windows normally and ends up with BSOD. I have tried rebooting my system several times, hoping that I might get the arrow key’s work but no avail. I don’t know what’s wrong with the arrow keys. I need to get my system working as soon as possible because there are lot of pending work that I have to complete this week and I am already running late. Just let me know if there is anything that I can try out to get out of this situation rather than simply reinstalling windows.

Re: Arrow keys doesnt work during windows vista startup

Are you quite sure that this issue is because of avast antivirus that you had installed and nothing else???? I have never come across such a situation before, and I don’t think using some other keyboard might help you out. It doesn’t seem to be a keyboard issue, anyways if you have another keyboard than you can check it out to eliminate the possible reasons behind it. Just give it a shot and post back result you see.
    the longest journey begins with a single step

I guess Avast might have caused something wrong with windows, if you are having windows vista installation disk than you can try doing a system repair. I really can’t think of anything else that might help you out I this situation. You can surely try using some other keyboard but if my guess is right than Arrow keys won’t work and in that case you will have to try repairing windows.

I have tried connecting to usb keyboard as well as the normal one but I am getting same response from them. There’s surely something wrong going on with windows, I have tried repairing windows using vista installation disk but I am not able to change the boot order. I mean after inserting installation disk when I hit F9, I get the page where I have to change boot order but arrow key doesn’t work there as well. Is there a way of booting from cd without changing boot order??? Any idea?

Do you have a PS2 Keyboard?? If yes, than you can try using that. While checking out for your issue I came across one who was exactly in to same situation after installing some application. He had mentioned that normal usb keyboards were not working out for him but a PS2 Keyboard had helped him out. I don’t know how true he was but as you don’t have any other workaround, I will suggest you to give that a try and see if you get any luck with that. Do post back if that helps, best of luck.
    -Their is a time for one thing, and times for other things, but now isn't the time to read this message-