Thread: Enabling Snap feature on Windows 8

Enabling Snap feature on Windows 8

Currently I am running Windows 8 consumer preview in my system and I want to know, How can I enable Snap feature on Windows 8? I am having 27 inch monitor with 1360*768 resolutions, is there anyone who has managed to enable it by now and can share the trick with me? Thanks in advance.

Re: Enabling Snap feature on Windows 8

Even I want to know about the same, I am having 1280x800 resolution monitor in my case. I just want to make clear that I am looking out for snap feature of Windows 8 and not Aero Snap feature of Aero Snap feature. I have asked this question to many and most of them had suggested me steps for enabling Aero Snap feature.

In that case I will like to inform you both that new snap feature of Windows 8 will work with monitors having 1360*768 resolution and not lesser than that. For enabling Snap feature you can refer to below steps:
    1. Press Windows-r, open Windows Registry editor, if you get a UAC prompt then enter the required details and click on ok.
    2. Now check out for Registry key HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\AppPositioner\
    3. Once you get it right click in its right pane and select New > Dword (32-bit) from context menu, you can name new key as AlwaysEnableLSSnapping and enter its value as 1.
    4. When you are done with these changes simply restart your computer and now you should be able to see two program windows side by side in the Windows 8 user interface.
    Just try it out and feel free to ask if you have any query with any of the above steps, best of luck.

I had used Windows 8 Snap Enabler which is small software for enabling and disabling snap feature of Windows 8. You don’t even have to edit the registry manually, I think using software for carrying out this task will be a better idea.

You cannot use Windows 8 Snap Enabler for enabling and disabling snap feature any more in windows. It was working earlier but it doesn’t work for Windows 8 Consumer Preview, Release Preview and RTM versions. So you will have to edit the Registry manually for enabling Snap feature. I don’t know why Snap Enabler doesn’t work anymore but it was really a good software, I had used it when I installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview for testing purpose. It was capable of forcing Snap Feature to get enabled in Low Screen Resolutions as well. Don’t know if someone will come up with compatible software like it again. Until then there is no option for getting Snap feature to work on lower resolution, but by only enabling it by editing registry manually.