Thread: How to add network storage to Windows 8 library

How to add network storage to Windows 8 library

My system is running on windows 8 now and I am having a network storage for storing my videos in it. I have installed windows 8 a day ago and today when I was trying to add the library then it started giving me error saying "This network location can't be included because it is not indexed. I don’t know what’s wrong now, I did not had any such issue when I was running windows 7. It started after installing windows 8? Any ideas what might be wrong in my case, is there anything different I have to do for adding library in windows 8?

Re: How to add network storage to Windows 8 library

In that case you can try out the below steps:
    • Make sure that you are having "UNC" path to your NAS share and then create a folder on your hard disk with any name and integrate it in to your video library.
    • After that go in to C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\ and Copy Videos file on desktop, right click on it and select Open With.
    • You can select editor for opening it, when you get a plain text file then you can search for that file and replace it with the UNC path and delete below packages between <serialized>...</serialized>. Once you do that then it will look like this:
      <simpleLocation>
      <url>\\NAS\Video Collection</ url>
      </simpleLocation></li>
    • Once you are done with the same then you can save the file and copy it to your desktop in C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\ and override existing "Videos" file.
    • When you are done with all of the above things then you can delete the folder that you have created with any name.

Re: How to add network storage to Windows 8 library

I have ran in to same issue but later I installed Zune and pointed it to NAS and after that things started working fine. If you want then you can try using the same, some people have mentioned that they are using Windows Media Player for the same task as it uses WMP catalog which is built in. I don’t know what’s wrong with NAS storage in windows 8 but I hope it to get fixed in final version of windows 8.