Thread: How to get Virtual Drive on Ubuntu

How to get Virtual Drive on Ubuntu

How to use Daemon tools on Ubuntu. Like in Windows when you mount a iso image, there is a virtual drive in My Computer. You can copy paste files from it or directly install softwares. I need some help to do the same in Ubuntu.

Re: How to get Virtual Drive on Ubuntu

First of all, in Windows the autorun files run or .exe file run to launch the software installer. This does not works in Linux. But it is possible to get a virtual drive. There are tools similar like Daemon. Just launch Software Manager and search in that.

I do that with Furius ISO Mount. This tool is free and you can locate that in Software Manager. You can also install it through terminal. To install run the following command from terminal - sudo apt-get install furiusisomount. It is a deb package that will work in any edition of Ubuntu. It offers you to browse iso image files. When you are done with the setup, just launch it. You can see a small windows. Click on browser and locate the iso file. Then click on Mount button. That's all.

The iso file will be seen as a disc your desktop and you can move the files from it. It works nice and has easy to operate. The tool offer you some additional option that tells you to check a different number of errors and analyze the same. There is a log file generated which report the same. The tool is also good for testing the download file integrity. It works nicely and offers optimum features. There are other more tools, but they can be a bit complicated to use. You can try the md5 files inside iso, to check file integrity. This are the things which are not provided in Daemon tools. As there is a Checksum button provided to verify the file condition. Other than browsing you can drag the file directly on its window. You can click on Unmount button below to disconnect the virtual drive.

First open terminal from main menu,than Accessories,than Terminal ,than type following commands
    sudo apt-get install gmountiso

Install from Synaptic Manager as well as Add/Remove Programs..

You cannot expect to have a good autoplay support on Linux system. In Windows the entire scene is different. I use Ubuntu on a virtual drive installed over Vmware. It is quiet handful sometime.

I am using GMount ISO for that. To install that just type - sudo apt-get install gmountiso in the terminal and wait for the setup. If you are not able to locate the same through terminal then you can simply use Software Manager for that. Search Gmount ISO in that and install it. It is one of the most trusted Virtual drive tool available for Linux. It supports a wide number of iso files and offer you easy Virtual Disc creation. The reason to recommend this is it is much faster compared to any other tool.

You can copy pate files at a high ratio from it to others. The download size is very less here. If you find this too basic then you can try Furius ISO Mount. It gives you simple gui based interface. But I had faced certain mounting issue with this thing. It works a bit slower and can give you a bit hard time in mounting large size disc. If you just need to copy data, then going for Gmount is better. It is lightweight and easy to configure also. It is quiet faster and better according to me.

I had notice that Linux lacks a good mounting software for iso files. When double click on iso file it opens up and show up files. So by default if you had a good archive software installed it will work properly.

There is one more tool you can use for mounting iso files. It is called as CDemu. You can download that directly from Software Manager. It is another tool to use iso file files for copy pasting data from it. I am looking for a solution that can offer me a option by which I can automount the iso files. I had tried to did this a number of time, but it did not worked. I have to use a separate tool to unmount the same and then copy data from it.

There is one more option you can go for. You can mount a iso file through terminal by passing up some simple commands. For that launch terminal. Type su - to gain root access. Then type - mkdir -p /mnt/disk. This will create a mount location where you will be access the iso files. Then type mount -o loop nameofdisk.iso /mnt/disk and hit enter. You are done know. You can get the files easily. This is a much faster way then using a third party tool for virtually mounting iso files. I am sure this will work in much better way in comparison to others. Though it operates through terminal it is not recommended for novice.

Thanks for that terminal solution. I tried that on a game iso file and it worked. I can copy paste the entire files out of it. It is better. But you did not showed up method to ummount that. It is still mounted on my system.

Just type - sudo umount /media/iso to unmount. That's all. I always follow terminal mode for number of operations. And the same works quiet well. I found it better for operation. I am looking for some tool that can offer me to mount a series of iso files at a single time. The same thing is also not available in Windows. Somehow you have to unmount one and then mount the other one. This works a bit slower but is quiet effective compared to others.

If you need a easy solution then as mentioned above go for Gmount-iso. This tool gives you two step way to mount a drive. First the top one to browse the .iso file and then the second to provide a location for accessing the files. I found it much easier for novice.

It is right to some extent. Those who do not want to messup with the terminal commands better stick with Gmount-iso. This is a best tool you can go for for creating virtual drive on Ubuntu.