Thread: Can I use Facebook chat within messages on OS X ML

Can I use Facebook chat within messages on OS X ML

I have installed OS X mountain lion in my mac book pro and I wanted to know if I can I use Facebook chat within messages? I have heard that it is possible but I don’t know how to Setup Messages + Facebook Chat in OS mountain lion. Is there anyone who can help? Thanks in advance.

Re: Can I use Facebook chat within messages on OS X ML

Yes you can do so by installing Messages Beta which is a messaging client for OS X mountain lion. Using this you will be able to send messages across other apple devices without paying a penny. You can also add Facebook Chat for chatting directly with your facebook friends. After downloading and installing Messages Beta you can follow below steps for setting up Messages + Facebook Chat in OS mountain lion.

Once you have installed it you will be prompted for registering with Messages Beta. So simply click on continue and enter the required details like Apple ID and password, click on ‘Sign In’ button and click on done.

Now open Messages and go to main menu > Preferences, here you will have to fill up a form which will include details like Account Type, Account Name, Password, Server, Port etc. so you have to fill them up like below:
    Account Type: Select ‘Jabber‘
    Account Name: username@chat.facebook.com
    Password: enter your password
    Server: chat.facebook.com
    Port: 5222

Leave Use SSL’ and ‘Use Kerberos v5” unchecked and click on done.

Once you have completed all this you will be able to chat with your Facebook friends. You can see your online friends under Messenger Beta chat window. Using Messages Beta and Facebook Chat integration you will be able to chat with Facebook friends and also add Google Talk, Yahoo! and AIM chat.

I will like to inform you that it was working in beta release of messages but it is not released in official release of OS X mountain lion messages. Apple had planned to integrate Facebook into Mountain Lion but they haven’t included Messenger.

Yes I was going to inform you about the same, the above mentioned steps are for Messages Beta. Messages haven’t got Facebook chat in official release of OS X mountain lion. I have used Facebook chat with Messages Beta previously but I don’t understand why they have not included it in official release even though things were working fine with it. I have come across people asking out for the same feature as almost everyone who had tried Messages beta + Facebook Chat were expecting to see it in official release of mountain lion. Since a number of people have requested about it, there are possibilities of apple adding this feature in their nest update.