Thread: How to setup VPN Server on Mountain Lion

How to setup VPN Server on Mountain Lion

Whenever I am trying to connect built in VPN in Mountain Lion on my local network using my iphone and ipad, connection is getting failed. I don’t know what the issue all about is. I have made sure that I am using the same setting as that on the server but I am still not having any luck with that. I don’t think I am missing out anything but I wanted to know if there is anything else I need to check out for finding the cause of “Connection failed” error.

Re: How to setup VPN Server on Mountain Lion

I am going through the same while connecting Mountain Lion server VPN on my home network using iPhone, I am getting “Connection failed” error but I don’t have any issue connecting to VPN using my MacBook which is running Mountain Lion. I have been looking after a fix for the same but haven’t come across any. I have tried connecting remotely using VPN L2TP but no avail. I did not had any issue when vpn was working on Lion, I was able to connect local network directly as well as remotely using VPN L2TP. Don’t know what’s going wrong with VPN on Mountain Lion.

I just wanted to know if any of you have tried changing VPN settings? If not then try changing VPN settings to L2TP and PPTP and see if that’s helping. I have come across some people who have mentioned that they were facing similar issues but where able to sort it out after changing VPN settings to L2TP and PPTPm. I am not sure if it will actually help or not but it will be worth a try in such situation.

I am having an issue as well, in my case I have upgraded to Mountain Lion and my VPN uses L2TP/IPSec. I don’t know why machine authentication via certificate has stopped working. I have checked out the log and transmission is getting failed with Main-Mode Message 5 every time. I am really running out of ideas and I want to get it working somehow. I have tried changing VPN settings to L2TP and PPTPm but no luck, currently I have switched back to L2TP/IPSec and it seems to be working fine, the problem is just with authentication certificates.

You can try opening Keychain Access and then grant VPN certificate for machines that you want. You can refer to the below steps for that.
    1. First Open Keychain Access and check out for the certificate that you might be using in your VPN configuration. Just make sure that you are selecting appropriate keychain from the list.
    2. Once you see certificate listed in main window then click on small arrow that will be at the left hand side of certificate name.
    3. Now you will see private key with key icon, so double click on private key and in new window there will be 2 buttons naming 'Attributes' and 'Access Control'.
    4. The Attributes button will be selected by default so you have to click on 'Acces Control' button. Once you do that you will see more buttons, where one will be 'Allow all applications to access this item' button and other will be 'Confirm before allowing access' button.
    5. So click on 'Allow all applications to access this item' button and click on 'Save Changes'.
    6. You might be prompted for admin password, so enter the same and quit Keychain Access after closing all windows.
    7. Test out your VPN and you should not have any issue with authenticating certificates. If you have any problem with the steps mentioned above then you can feel free to ask, best of luck.

Even I need some help regarding VPN, I have upgraded to Mountain Lion recently and I am not having issue in connecting to VPN but it’s that my internet connection stops working after getting connected. I never came across this weird issue when I was using osx lion, I have tried connecting to VPN several times but it is doing the same every time. I have tried using hot spot shield but then I am getting a pop up message saying it cannot be opened as security preferences allow installation applications only. I have been wandering in different forums and have come across some people going through similar people but no one has answered them yet. If anyone here is having any idea of this problem then please share it here, it will be highly appreciative.