Thread: Changing Desktop background problems in Mountain Lion

Changing Desktop background problems in Mountain Lion

I am having weird issue while changing background in Mountain Lion, whenever I am right clicking on desktop and selecting “Change Desktop Background” then System Preferences is getting opened hidden in dock but I can’t see the windows. I never faced any issue like this in osx lion before, I have come across this after installing Mountain Lion. Is there a way to fix it?

Re: Changing Desktop background problems in Mountain Lion

I think you might have installed some third party application which might be interfering with the background process. If you have installed any third party applications recently then try uninstalling them one by and test your system to see if things work fine after uninstalling any specific application. Once you find the culprit application then you can reinstall the other ones. So just check it out and let me know if you get help from my suggested workaround.

I appreciate your help but I wanted to add that I haven’t installed any third party application in my system. I have installed Mountain Lion a day ago and have encountered this bug today while changing background, further help regarding this will be grateful.

Try out below things first and let me know the response you get so that I can have a better idea of the issue you are facing.
    1. Boot your system in safemode and see if it is working fine there
    2. Try clearing caches in ~/library/caches and /library/caches
    3. Try creating new account and check out if you are getting same response there as well
    4. Try deleting desktop preferences plist file

Just go through these things and post back what you get, I think one of these solutions should help you out.

I have tried out performing what you had suggested and below are the responses I’ve got:
    • Same problem after Booting in safemode
    • Clearing caches in ~/library/caches and /library/caches dint made any difference
    • Problem exist in new created account as well
    • Deleting desktop preferences plist file dint helped as well

Is there anything else that I need to try out further for fixing this??

I have encountered exactly the same thing after installing Mountain Lion in my macbook pro, in my case desktop property window gets display once after rebooting but no more after that. If I try to open it after first attempt then it gets hidden in dock. I am not sure but I think it is some kind of bug, one of my friends who have installed Mountain Lion with my bootable usb is facing the same thing. I have tried out all of the possible solutions including reinstallation of Mountain Lion. I am quite sure that I had not missed out anything during the installation of Mountain Lion. Anyways since it is working for the first time after reboot I am using that trick as temporary solution for now but will like to know if there will be any update on this issue.

Are you both having "open in 32-bit mode" option unchecked in "get info" ? In my case I am having it uncheck and I am able to get desktop property window without any such issue. So just uncheck it and see if you both are able to get desktop property window after that or not.

I think you might be lucky, I have tried out check marking it as well as un-check marking but I am still not able to get desktop property window second time after boot. I have been looking out in other forum to find a fix for this issue, I have come across others facing the same thing but I haven’t come across anyone saying that this issue fixed my problem and so. Since installing Mountain Lion I haven’t made any changes but just to fix this I’ve done Disk Repair from the recovery partition. I was thinking of trying out reinstalling Mountain Lion but now after knowing that’s not helping I am running out of ideas. Not sure if this is a bug as some people including you have mentioned things are working fine, I will contact apple support and will find out if they are having any update on this issue

Guys has anyone found a fix ? I have been facing same problem and have tried out all of the mentioned solution here but no avail. I have contacted apple support but haven’t got response from them. I have made clean installation of Mountain Lion thinking that might help but no luck yet. If any of you is aware of any further workaround then share it here, it will be quite appreciative, thanks in advance.