Thread: Mountain Lion crashes randomly

Mountain Lion crashes randomly

OS X Mountain Lion doesn’t seem to be stable, I have installed it recently in my macbook and I am not able to use applications like Apple Mail, Google Chrome, Finder along with other app that I have installed as just after launching them they doesn’t respond, displaying "Not Responding" at the top. Its stays like that for long and I have to force it to shutdown. I don’t know what’s going wrong, has anyone else faced the same issue or has any idea about it??

Re: Mountain Lion crashes randomly

I am going through the same "Not Responding" error most of the time, applications like outlook, skype, chrom, Quick Time, Finder, Apple Mail, Google Chrome etc gets locked after launching them. Nothing works when this happens; I don’t have choice of sorting it out rather than simply rebooting the laptop after forcing it to shutdown. I wasn’t facing any such issue with lion, it all started after installing OS X Mountain Lion. I have been looking out after a solution for this but I’ve just come across more and more people complaining about the same thing.

I haven’t come across any effective solution to try out. Some people had mentioned that they were facing "Not Responding" error for some specific application and uninstalling and reinstalling those applications had helped them out. In my case almost all of the mentioned applications are responding in the same way , so I don’t think there is something wrong with the applications but it with the whole OS. If anyone comes across any further workaround for fixing this issue then let me know as well, it will be very appreciative.

I agree to you for that, I really don’t think that we should try out uninstalling and reinstalling all these applications. I am quite sure that there is something wrong with OS X Mountain Lion, may be it is still buggy and we'll need an update to fix it.

Just wanted to know if you have installed latest updates for all of the mentioned applications? If no then check it out and install available updates for them and see if they are working fine after that or not. I also wanted to know if these applications started crashing just after installing OS X Mountain Lion or they turned up later? If they started crashing just after installing OS X Mountain Lion then you might have not made a clean installation. If the issue turned up later than you can try restoring system software to your Mac using built in OS X Recovery.

I am quite sure that I had made clean installation of OS X Mountain Lion, there is something else that is causing the issue. I have installed all the available updates by now but that’s not appearing to be making any difference. I am finding my macbook useless after installing OS X Mountain Lion on it. I have kept OS X Recovery as my last option and will wait for a couple of days to find out what exactly is causing this issue.

You should check the basic hardware requirements to install Mountain Lion.
    These are the basic requirements to install Mountain Lion:-

* Mac OS X 10.6.8 or Newer
    * 2GB RAM
    * 8GB of HDD space
    * 64-Bit Intel Core 2 Duo or better processor
    * Advanced GPU chipset
    * Apple User ID
    * Broadband connection to download OS

The cause of this issue is 3rd party kernel extensions, I mean you might be having some third party software in your system that might be leading other applications to crash, you can find all of them by running below command in Terminal:

kextstat -kl | awk ' !/apple/ { print $6 } '

In the result you will get list of all third party kexts, the result should look like this:
    com.squirrels.driver.AirParrotSpeakers
    com.sophos.kext.sav
    com.avast.PacketForwarder
    com.logmein.driver.LogMeInSoundDriver

Thanks for that, I appreciated your help and below is what Ive found as result:
    com.squirrels.airparrot.framebuffer
    net.telestream.driver.TelestreamAudio
    com.avast.AvastFileShield
    com.squirrels.driver.AirParrotSpeakers

I use all of these programs and I wanted to know if I will have to remove all of them or there is a way to find the one that might be causing other applications to crash?? Further help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

See there are different ways for finding out the program that might be the culprit like creating new Admin user and checking out if applications are working fine. If they do then you can start moving other 3rd party kernel extensions in your Library folder of your home directory and restart your computer for checking out if your formerly apps are crashing again or not. You will have to move your 3rd party kernel extensions one by one to find out the culprit. I find this process to be quite messy, rather than this I will suggest you to take a backup of all third party programs that you see in the list and uninstall them. After that you can install then one my one and test your formerly apps accordingly. If they start crashing after adding any of 3rd party kernel extensions then you will have to uninstall that one, Hope that helps.

If you want then you can refer to the below solution for finding out the culprits and deal with them accordingly.

Finding out the software that might be conflicting:
    In order to sort out extensions first restart Mac in "Safe Mode" If your app in question doesn’t crash now then as mentioned above there might be some third party software component causing the crash which gets disabled in Safe Mode. So now create new Admin user, log in and check if your app in question is running fine or not. If it works fine then you will just have to find out the culprits extension that might be in your home folder's Library folder. Now you will have to copy files or even entire folders from original admin user Library folder to new Admin user Library folder for finding out when exactly the application starts crashing. For accessing original user home folder you will have to ass that user in to folder's "Sharing & Permission" segment via "Get Info" menu command. Generally you will find most of 3rd party kernel extensions in Library folder which is directly at the root of your startup disk and Library folder of your home directory. Make sure that files are not hidden folders, you will see the below folders in above mentioned folders:
    • Input Methods
    • InputManagers
    • LaunchAgents
    • LaunchDaemons
    • ScriptingAdditions

You should first check out Input Methods folders and InputManagers foldersm, if you don’t find applications crashing after moving them then you can precede checking other ones. Other than these culprits can be found in System Preferences, Login Items and in /System/Library folder as well. You have to check them out for 3rd party kernel extensions. You will have to restart your computer and test your app in question while moving other items from above folders accordingly. Once you get hold of the extension that were interfering with your application leading them to get crash than you can remove them When you are done with all these things then move the other items back in original places and delete the new admin user if you want.