Thread: Why Yahoo Messenger keeps crashing on Ubuntu

Why Yahoo Messenger keeps crashing on Ubuntu

I am not able to understand why Yahoo keeps on crashing on a Linux PC. I had installed Ubuntu 12.04 and then installed Wine on the same. I had a setup of Yahoo Messenger 8 which I use usually. I do not upgrade it. The installation went fine and I was also able to login. But when I send message to someone, or if some send anything to me it crashes. It happens a number of time. I tried re-installing it a number of time but nothing worked out. I hope there is a solution present for this issue.

Re: Why Yahoo Messenger keeps crashing on Ubuntu

Yahoo Messenger does not work on Linux platform. And also do not reply on Wine. It is not at all stable. You have to get a Linux alternative for Yahoo Messenger. The best one is Pidgin. It works on multiple accounts and is very comfortable to use.

Yes it is right. Yahoo Messenger does not work on Linux. There is no way to install it and Wine is just a waste of time. Recently I had installed Notepad++ on it. I am using this as my default text editor on Windows. For temporary purpose I was shifted to a Linux system. The installation went well, but whenever I press Ctrl + S, the application crashes.

I had gone through a number of troubleshooting stuff and found that Windows applications are not at all compatible with Linux in any matter. Many will tell you to add a emulator or install Windows on VirtualBox. But that does not help out much. There is a web version of Yahoo Messenger that you can try. But in that you cannot send or receive files. I am also waiting if Yahoo can provide the chat application for open source platform also.

I am also addicted to Yahoo Messenger and cannot switch to pidgin so instantly. I had tried a number of emulators to run Windows app but nothing worked out. Those are all crap. It is necessary that you must either work on Windows, or switch to pidgin. Avoid wasting time in installing Yahoo on Linux distros.

There is a tool called as Gyachi. This is somewhat similar to Yahoo. It has a very old design of chat messenger. It looks very dull. But if you need some similar feature of Yahoo then you can stick with this. Gyachi just looks like old Yahoo. It has a similar interface and worsk quiet similar to Yahoo Messenger. Many says that this is the Linux version of Yahoo. To install this you have to type - sudo apt-get install libssl0.9.6 in terminal. Type the command and hit enter. Add your login information and wait for the response.

You can also try to find this in Software Manager. Download and install this first. Once you are done with the setup the next command you have to use is -- sudo dpkg -i /path/ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb. The path here is the location of .deb package of yahoo messenger. I tried to find the download of the same, but it is not provided over web. You have to use Linux repository for the same. It is a Debian package that work in Ubuntu.

In the above reply Gyachi is different and ymessenger.deb is different. Gyachi just a clone of Yahoo Messenger which offers you similar functionality of Yahoo. You can test that. It is easily located in Software Manager.

Windows application face too much issue on Ubuntu. The applications that are designed for Windows are entirely different in comparison to Linux. So you cannot force the app to run on open source platform. It is much better if you go with a open source alternative. Pidgin is one of the best chat messenger that I had seen. It integrates easily with Facebook, Gmail and Yahoo. And it is not all complicated to configure the same. Pidgin too has multiple issues but you can use it with some adjustment you can get messages instantly.

Under no condition Yahoo will work on open source software. I had tried many options but that did not worked at all. There are number of different types of chat software that you can go for. But depending on the support and you can choose. Pidgin is the only one that works on multiple protocol smoothly.

Yes Pidgin would be the best option that will give you a better way of chatting. The only issue that lies with Pidgin is that you cannot send a file to any user on Yahoo Messenger, but on the same hand you can receive a file. This is where the tool lacks a lot.

Try Gyachi. This is the best Yahoo client I had seen. You can receive conference notification, you can send or receive files from any users and even chat properly. I was also using Pidgin before then I shifted to Gyachi and it worked well. I was facing the same issue of sending file. Pidgin is not capable of sending files to a users, while Gyachi did that well.

Also you can share avatars or simply play games on it. It is a very light weight application that works quiet nicely. The interface of this chat messenger looks a bit dull which makes a bit complicated to handle. You do not need to worry about the same. Gyachi works in better way.

I wonder in future Yahoo might plan to release a version of its chat tool for Linux users also. You can find skype and teamviewer, but you can't locate popular Yahoo Messenger. Even you can find MSN Messenger for Linux.