Thread: Cinnamon is not stable compared to Mate on Linux Mint

Cinnamon is not stable compared to Mate on Linux Mint

I had installed Linux Mint 13 on my system. Luckily I did not deleted my Windows partition. So the system worked in dual boot mode. First I had configured the OS as per my need. Like adding panels and shortcuts, installing Samba and running updates. Everything goes well. Then saw that Linux Mint also has Cinnamon desktop. I searched that in Software Manager and installed it. I also installed Cinnamon configuration utility. Later on when I logout and change my session to Cinnamon, the system does not react properly. Menu loads fine but no right click is working on the desktop.

I had then re-installed a fresh Linux Mint on another computer and after installation configured Cinnamon on it. This desktop is really awesome with nice interface and eye popping looks. But I found that a number of shortcuts are not working on it, nor it works smoothly like Mate.

Re: Cinnamon is not stable compared to Mate on Linux Mint

This is due to the DVD version you have. You had downloaded Linux Mint Mate and on that you are trying to install Cinnamon separately. Because of which you are facing the issue. I will recommend you to download Linux Mint 13 Maya Cinnamon Edition and then check back. It work work fine. I am using the same.

Download Linux Mint 13 Maya Cinnamon 32 Bit - Linux Mint 13 "Maya" - Cinnamon (32-bit) - Linux Mint

That can right to some extent. I did the same. First I installed Mate version and did all the customization thing that I want. I also configured my default shortcut desktop icon and done. But later on when I switch to Cinnamon it did not responded well. I think the desktop does not locate well or is not able to pull data from Mint Mate. It freezes and to some extent it crashes also. It is recommended to use 64bit version because that is the most stable one. Unfortunately people with 32bit system cannot use it.

Compared to Mint Mate Desktop, Cinnamon is less stable. There flashy and eye popping effects but still it needs some better resources and different customization can make your system more unstable. I would love to use Cinnamon, but as I had already faced a crash issue, I am not going to switch back to it. It also recommended that you must only use a single desktop on the single version that come installed with default setup.

Cinnamon is not stable at all. I had used this and compared to that Mate is much better. But if you need a system just for working them using Gnome classic is far more better. It works nicely do not crash and allow you smooth performance. Cinnamon is recommended a bit resource intensive as it comes with number of eye candy stuff.

Compared to Ubuntu, Mint is not so stable in desktop support. If you add a theme or make major customization then I had seen Pymouth disconnection error. While in Ubuntu stuff goes very smoothly. My system connects to a FTP server and I had setup a automated mode to copy paste files. I keep replacing my existing hard drive data through FTP. For that system customization is not at all important. But for those who has a cool looking laptop and love to interactive OS, Mint can help a lot. You must avoid adding extra stuff. Just keep your system updated. Mint comes with support through a community forums, while Ubuntu is different in many senses.

I was wondering that there would be a Cinnamon type desktop made for Ubuntu also. I will install that. The older version 10.0 of Ubuntu was having a nice dragging and screen maximum effect. It was really different. I am looking for that kind of effect. Mint is designed for performance while Cinnamon is just some animated effects on your screen.

That actually depends on the choice of people. You can go for Mate or Cinnamon. I had also notice that when you install this through Software Manager it doesn't work well. But if the Cinnamon edition of Mint is installed it work nicely.

There might number of flaws. Open source system lack better support because of which if in future you face any error you have to no option to fix that. As time goes on Linux is improving a lot. There were time when you have to run a number of commands to use a printer or usb drive. While this is entirely a different scenario today. Everything is just plug and play. It works better and smoother and you do not need to do major changes.

All lan settings, driver support, hardware, etc is handled by the operating system on its own. This make your job more easier. I am using Ubuntu and still quiet use to this operating system. I do not play with much desktop settings, but it has became easier to navigate today. Those who needs performance must use open source operating system because compared to Windows this is far more better. Windows offer you better functionality related to tons of app installation but as time goes on the software goes slower and slower.

I am using Cinnamon on my 64bit system and it works cool. It is a bit resource intensive but not much higher. I had checked properly and found it work well if you use the Cinnamon edition dvd. The reason is that it is properly completed while if you try that through Software Manager you will face a number of limitations.

I do know till what extent this is correct. When you install Cinnamon through Software Manager you can get Cinnamon configuration utility also. In that you can make changes to the desktop as per your need. That would make it more effective and better. If you are new to Mint then making manual configuration can make your job more tougher. That is the reason a number of people above had told you to run installation through Mint Cinnamon DVD. This edition is quiet well and work in better form. I had tested both, using through the installation DVD and through Software Manager. But I had notice that if install that from scratch it is more stable. I hope there would be a better upcoming version of this operating system which will make it far more better.

Yes I am too waiting to find what new we can have here. Linux Mint is the latest edition with more stable desktop and a better Menu bar. This was always I look for. Now I am waiting to find what more better thing we have on it.