Thread: Good download manager for Linux system

Good download manager for Linux system

Which is a good download manager for Linux Mint system. I am trying to locate some cool tools, but there is nothing much found. I had used Internet Download Manager on Windows which is one of the most suitable software I had saw. The quality that I am looking for in a good download manager is pause resume ability, quick download buttons near links, videos, music, etc. I had seen this all in IDM. Any help on the same is appreciated.

Re: Good download manager for Linux system

Why don't you try to use IDM on Wine. It might work well. I had not tested but I am using Flash FXP on it. To some extent it crash in heavy operation but worked. Wine is not completely stable, but I think it can help you in case of downloading. You can find the download of same in Software Manager. It is around 150mb download or may be higher. When you are done with the installation you just need to right click on IDM setup and then run through Wine. The same will be installed.

It is a bit complicated. Wine is not at all stable. I tried to install a LAN messenger recently but the same crashed. It is better if you stick with some version that comes only for Linux. One of the most popular Download Manager that comes for Linux based distro is Gwget. This tool offer you to have resume feature. You can pause the download and then resume the same back after sometime. Also there is notification area support through which it notifies you on the current process.

You can put the download manage on hide, and work on your desktop. The download keeps on working in the background. Other than this the tool is capable of detecting a number of different pages and it might help you to download elements from the web page easily. About the download url stuff, you just need to drag the file inside it and done. Gwget is the front of Wget. The software comes with very basic and light weight interface. You can locate the same easily in Software Manager. It can be a simple download manager for your system.

You can find those relative softwares in Software Manager. Just launch the same and search download manager. As Linux Mint is Ubuntu based operating system, so maximum app that work on Ubuntu will also support Mint. It is not a complicated job to find different tools for downloading. You can one by one check all features of this software and then try back.

Try MultiGet. It is not a complicated software. It has a simple interface to add url and then start downloading. About the video and audio download directly from web page, I am a bit doubtful. I am not sure there is any tool that can do that on Linux distro. You will need to use some different kind of software for the same. This tool provides you a GUI based interface where you can simply manage and work with your downloads.

It works properly and has a powerful resume feature. I am sure you can use it and configure easily. There is a new feature added in this tool which provides you P2SP support. Through this the software tries to contact a different number of servers and the try to collect one file. There are chances a single file is hosted on multiple server.

In this way there are less option of getting data loose and you get a much faster download ration even on slow bandwidth. This software is available for many platform and it is widely used. I am sure you will find something better in this.

There are ample of download manager for Linux Distros. But for downloading a video from video sharing website or audio you need a third party tool. I use Firefox and in that I had installed Video Download Helper. This tiny plugin help me to download videos instantly from any website.

I love this tiny tool. There is some compatibility issue with the add-on on latest version. So try to downgrade if you face any errors

Similar to Internet Download Manager, there is one more tool which is called as FlashGot. The software has two ways of working. First through a independent tool that act as download manager and second integration with Firefox. So here you get option to download links, audio, video, etc from the web page. I think this is one of the best software alternative to Internet Download Manager. The software is available for many platform.

It is just not limited to Windows or Linux. The tool works quiet nicely giving you the right download speed with single click. The interface is quiet lite making it load faster and reliable to great extent. It is a all in one download manager which has many option. When you watch a video clip or play a audio you can right click on the same and then choose to download through FlashGot. It is integrated to the right click menu making it comfortable to launch any easy download. I had checked properly this worked well. So the next time when you see any download link you have to right click and run the download through FlashGot.

I am using FlashGot. It is a nice software. I am also working on Ubunut which made me to find the right download manager and I found this one. The best of this software is that you can directly download the stuff from web through a simple right click menu.

There is a bit difference between Download Manager and Accelerator. In Download Manager you get nice option to deal with file downloads. The same work fine and is not corrupted easily. Second in Accelerator the Download Manager software tries to pull the bandwidth to maximum. If you are on LAN network you can face issue of lower bandwidth on other computer. Clients like Internet Download Manager, Utorrent, etc is a Download Manager + Accelerator.

If your ISP finds that you are using such software to go beyond the bandwidth limit provided to you, you can face either high bill or lower bandwidth restriction based on FUP. So to some extent I will recommend you to stick with a reasonable software like FlashGot. There are ample of accelerators on web that might suck up more bandwidth and will affect others.

I agree with the same. I faced that issue with uTorrent. I was not aware that this software tries to draw the entire bandwidth from network. Anyhow they add a button of download limit which is quiet well according to me.