Thread: Good and bad points of Windows 8

Good and bad points of Windows 8

I have not used Windows 8 till yet but just seen demo videos and images and I find the whole operating system completely different from all the operating systems developed by Windows in past. The whole interface seems different also the way it is meant to operate looks different. Has anyone used Windows 8 who can tell me what are the good things and the bad things about Windows 8?

Re: Good and bad points of Windows 8

One thing that you will notice after starting Windows 8 is that it has a completely new interface. This interface can be modified in any way possible to get the applications and the softwares directly on our hands. With the brick like spliced interface on desktop, you can actually set applications and softwares in proper order and organize them according to your need. Also with the colorful blocks, you can decorate your desktop like you want to. Many new users will find it somewhat awkward in the beginning but as they go on using, they will get habituated to it and then use it efficiently. It actually makes work faster and saves a lot of time of accessing the local drives and searching for the exe files.

I have used Windows 8 and I think that it is completely useless for a business purpose. The first bad thing that I would like to point out is the technical requirements of this operating system. It needs 2 GB of RAM and 128 MB of video memory to operate properly. Now from business and professional point of view, one cannot expect every client, colleague or any person one deals with will have high end PCs or computers with high specifications. Windows 8 runs on low end PCs but then it will not give proper performance. The resolution will not be as good as one on PC with video memory and good capacity RAM. Also having high resolution pictures in presentations and documents will lead to laggy performance in PC.

I don’t know what people at Microsoft were thinking while developing Windows 8. I don’t think that any professional person and high level organization will ever use it. It doesn’t have any new feature that will prove useful for business, neither there is productivity tool. Also since Windows 8 will be new in market, I think that many other developers will take more time to develop applications and softwares compatible with it. So again we will need to wait for few months for useful softwares to come out in market that will be compatible with Windows 8. I think that this is another reason why I didn’t like Windows 8. Also with such high amount of RAM and video memory requirement, if operating system itself starts consuming resources, then what will the other softwares running on it will do.

I think that the interface of Windows 8 is made like that of smartphones. But this interface looks great in the smartphones because of their use and their screen size. But here in desktop PC, it all goes bad and looks undesirable. I was reading review of Windows 8 on internet and on one site it was written that this operating system is made for large sized monitor and for touch screen display units. Can’t say about the touch screen display unit, but Windows 8 has failed greatly on desktop PCs. Also there is no start button as like in other operating systems of Windows. Again we don’t get direct close button, instead we have to terminate the process. I think this whole thing is ridiculous.

The best part of Windows 8 is that it takes just 8 seconds for startup. After turning the PC on, you just have to wait for few seconds and the computer will be ready to use. I think that this part about Windows 8 is best and this is why I loved this operating system. This is because of the Uefi built that is used in this operating system. It skips the part where the computer loads the BIOS and the processor’s tasks. But the computer needs to have hardware powerful enough to support this feature. With other computers, Windows 8 will start as the regular operating systems start.

The best part of Windows 8 is that it takes just 8 seconds for startup. After turning the PC on, you just have to wait for few seconds and the computer will be ready to use. I think that this part about Windows 8 is best and this is why I loved this operating system. This is because of the Uefi built that is used in this operating system.
    I think that though Windows 8 gives you quick startup by use of Uefi built, I think that it will cause problems when someone wants to create a system with dual boot operating system in it. Also accessing BIOS will be difficult. Even a non-professional person can tell that on pressing F8 during startup will launch the BIOS where one can change settings of the hardware and other system attributes. But here it will take time for a person to realize this how to access the BIOS. Also in Windows XP, if the operating system went corrupt one would just pop the CD and access the BIOS to format the system and install fresh operating system. But now if Windows 8 goes corrupt, it would become difficult to disable the quick start and then go in the BIOS of the computer.

I liked the level of security provided by Windows 8. The first thing that one will notice while installing the Windows 8 on my computer was that it needed Windows Live ID to install. Without this the installation wouldn’t proceed. I think that this move will stop piracy of the operating system. Also another level of security is added for the users to secure their computers. This time Microsoft has just not the numerical password but also a picture password in their operating system. This means one can set a numerical password and for extra security one can also use a picture as his/her password. Some gestures will be needed to be marked on the picture which the system will recognize. For example click on some specific point or a line on the picture or a curve.

I liked the level of security provided by Windows 8. The first thing that one will notice while installing the Windows 8 on my computer was that it needed Windows Live ID to install.
    The worst part about this security is that every time you will start Windows 8, the system will log into your Windows account to verify your identity every time you start your computer. I think this is great for security. But just imagine a situation where your boss calls up saying that you need to send him some important document urgently. Then you remember that you are out of your home with your laptop in such a place where there is no internet connection or maybe internet connection is down. So it is like having a computer with most advanced operating system but still can’t use it for the simplest task.

I think Windows 8 is how a person uses it. We cannot say that it is bad or good. It is just how you use it and what your needs are. If you are a gamer, then certainly you will feel Windows 8 as bad operating system due to its compatibility with most of the games and high resource consumption. If one needs to just store data and maybe use it for some entertainment like watching movies and listening to music, then it is good because it puts everything needed in front with help of the desktop.

If anybody wants operating for security, the there is Linux and other operating systems. So I think that it is the need and not the built of Windows 8 that makes it good or bad.