Thread: Looking for a good system management tool for Ubuntu

Looking for a good system management tool for Ubuntu

Looking for good system management tool for Ubuntu. There current one is basic. I need advance tweaking utility that can help me to completely modiy the entire system. I want to setup a server where I have to remove unwanted services from this operating system.

Re: Looking for a good system management tool for Ubuntu

Did you tried USP. This is ubuntu system panel utility which can help you to do some easy tweaks. It does not makes any major changes in the operating system, but you can setup the menu and launcher as per your need.

You must try USP. This is quiet better. It is a configurable Gnome launcher which help you to modify a number of system menu. It is not completely a system management utility. Unlike Windows, Ubuntu lacks a tons of system manager software. There are very less services which you can see in the inbuilt system monitor app. You can then stop or run whichever you like the most. To make changes you have to know core of Ubuntu services. If you buy mistake played with certain settings then you might face error in future.

Compare to system management, there are ample of desktop widget. This widget helps you to keep a eye on current system services. You can add or remove them whenever you want. I had tried to find on web ample of site which showed me only system tools. This tools are widely find which provides you mostly monitor abilities.

There is no better system management tool on web. Ubuntu gives you basic support to modify the current system. Try newer version of latest Linux operating system, you found find something better.

What modification you want in your system. There is nothing much available. There are quiet rare services provided in open source operating systems. There are some command line tool that you can use also. Like vmstat.

This tool gives you information on current system activity. With this you can find out what are the current applications running and eating up your system processor. If you are looking for something in gui mode then there are rare chances you can locate any better stuff. There is very less support for this open source operating system. Do you find that your system is working slow. Then ensure that you had given enough swap space. If the space is lowered then you will face the issue of slow or lagging. Disable the screen effects. Make it as simple as you can. It will give a boost to the memory.

I had notice the system. Even Linux Mint that is released just some time ago lacks better system management software. In windows you can find the same more easily.

Usually system manager tools are used to fix the slow issue of ubuntu. But there are other more things you can try out. First if you can free the bootup by removing excessive application then it will work faster. It is necessary that you must keep your system upto date regularly. Updates give ubunut more boost in performance. It not only makes the system stable but give additoinal benefits also.

You can set the update on automatic, so that whenever there is new stuff released you can get that on your screen instantly. Clean the startup if possible. If you have quiet a good amount of data in your system then the performance is also hampered due to slow hard drive. There is nothing much you can do in it.

Somehow it happens that the installed operating system works does not well. In windows this is easier to find, but in ubuntu the same in bit complicated. I would keep a dual boot system instead.

Install Preload in your Ubuntu system. This tool will improve your os performance to great extent. I am not sure whether this works in all type of operating system or not. But it works well on Ubuntu Unity. The tool is designed to boost system performance by monitoring the application that are running in your system. It analyze the data and give the application a better power to perform properly.

After installing that if you feel that your boot time is increased then you must not worry about the same. This is just at the start but as your system starts working properly you will not face any freezing issue. Take a data backup and re-intsall Ubuntu. The setup takes hardly any time to run completely. I like Ubuntu a lot and using the same. It requires to me more organized.

I agree that troubleshooting is bit complicated on linux, but this gives you a better option to learn and understand a completely new platform. Try to find in software manager, I hope you can locate some kind of system manager tool.