Thread: How to get Power Nap in older Mac system

How to get Power Nap in older Mac system

How to get the Power Nap feature in older mac models. I am talking about those system who does not run on Mac OS X Mountain Lion. I tried to find the download same. But I can only land on the update. Which is around 4.05 GB and that will be provided only after paying $19.99. Can I get that for free.

Re: How to get Power Nap in older Mac system

I do not think so. It looks like power nap is a integrated feature of OS X Mountain Lion. You must upgrade that to get new features also. The outdated is quiet large but very cost effective.

It is possible to get that without upgrading to Mac OS X Mountain Lion. But it is limited to certain models also. I found a article which shows that you can get that on Retina Macbook Pro. You have to run the SMC update and you will get the feature inside that. It is not complicated. But if you are having a much older version then you have to ignore the tool. With this feature the system check your mails and update on hourly basis silently.

It is a good feature to keep your system updated. It does not disturb much but works silently in the background. Also the limitation of this service is that it works only when the laptop is actually connected with power source. It enhance the updating feature keeping your system upto date whenever you turn it on. Some older models does not support it. It is worth if you upgrade your system to Mountain Lion. There are many new additions in this with various bug fixes. There is no major change in the interface, but somehow new features offer you a cooler output.

You can get the same update on some limited system only. Here is a link below which will give you the download link as well as some information related to the feature.

I do not think it is worth to upgrade your system just for this small feature. Other than power nap you will have a bit addtions that are worth needed. I would like to highlight some feature here. In this new edition the limitation of iCloud is removed. You can now keep many things on it and access them where you want. Like you can keep your notes, or emails or contacts, etc. All of them are accessible through all type of mac devices. OS X Lion has Messages integrated inside it. With the help of this you can communicate with any iOS device very easily.

It gives you a better chatting platform with other mac devices. This feature also provide you enough security as your data is encrypted here and is not leaked so easily. Other than this there is a additional notification center added to the desktop. This notification center updates you important information related to emails, software updates, or any reminder alert. It adds sideboard to the right side. Dictation is another feature which is more improved. You can make your system to write mails for you just by typing.

What is your system. If it is Macbook Pro or Air which is not tool old, then you can get this from the udpate. Or else it is not worth to run the update. I am also not sure that this will comes with full OS X Mountain upgarde. .

PowerNap offers you easy system update even when you are not using it. It is a nice feature. You can let the system to check for new updates. That means it saves you time to run any fresh updates. When you turn on your system you get all things on the screen. Today almost all laptop does not has this type of feature. Once the lid is close the system went to sleep mode where nothing happens in the background. And when turned on back you have to run the updates manually. Good for those who have to check their mails every now and then. So if you are on lunch break or taking a short nap you can put the laptop on power nap. It will keep udpating itself from the background. It is smartly design and it does not consume all of your battery power. The laptop simply suspend the operation if your battery exceed certain limits. It is best recommended to use when you keep your laptop connected to the power adapter.

I do not found anything special here. I had run the SMC update where I found this tool. I had enabled that. All it does is keeps your notification updated. But on the same hand your battery life is bit reduced.

That is the reason it is being said to use when you have connected the system to power adapter. Also you must disconnect any usb or additional drive if connected to the system. Because that will reduce the battery power more. This looks some kind of better feature but I was expecting to get something more. Every time when Apple has provided a new operating they had added something better which was quiet helpful. Apple claims to give 200+ new features in the new operating system.

But among them only Powernap and dication is highlighted. So it looks other are mostly connected to functionality. OS X Lion has something exclusive for Facebook integration. It gives you a separate notification center with share sheet on the desktop itself. So it looks there are more social networking features added here.

I liked the game center. I am also using powernap. It is nice, but it is right that if you run that on battery the same ends up soon. You must enable powernap when you are putting the laptop on charging.

Before running the update have a look on the link below. This is the feature list that you can check. The feature list gives you information of each and every things added in OS X Lion. If you are not interested in other you can check Power Snap only. Apple - OSX Mountain Lion - See everything the new OS X can do.