Thread: Mac OS X Mountain Lion Dictation quality

Mac OS X Mountain Lion Dictation quality

Mac OS X Mountain Lion is out with new features. Among them what about dictation. Apple has integrated Siri in iOS and that was quiet good for voice commands. But for Dictation I am still struggling to find a right product. I am not able to locate the right information or software. On Windows this is as bit complicated due to lack of many features. But I think Mac can give me a improvement environment.

Re: Mac OS X Mountain Lion Dictation quality

Still text to speech on various platform is not developed. Nuance is the only developer I found providing a powerful software. But that too face various issue in the voice accent.

It is right the new Mountain Lion features a powerful dictation feature This allow you to talk to mac and perform a number of action. Yet this not tested by many but it looks this is going to give a much better output. What this feature allows you is, it translate your speech to text. It is quiet much easier. To use you have to go in System Preferences from Apple menu where you can locate Dictation and Speech under system. Turn it on and enable your mic. You can now talk and get a text version on the screen easily. Compared to Windows, the voice support provided on mac is far more better.

I had used this for a while. But the issue is that you have to say each and everything like punctuations in a sentence. This is spoil your speech. There is also no better tool on web which has a ability to convert the voice of a person in a better text file. I think we need to wait for more time to get some new support on the same.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium is the only best tool that can give you a better voice recognition service. You need to have some speaking ability by which you can control your voice and give a clear text on the same hand.

I too agree with the same. There are no better tools yet available. Siri is not a voice recognition service, it is like a voice command tool. You can say your command and it interacts. While dictation is entirely different thing. In dictation you have to speak well so that the software can convert your voice to speech. This helps many to write a instant email without typing or wasting much time. I had tested some free tools already but those were headache. Dragon Naturally speaking is available for mac. You can get the premium version of that software to find how it works actually.

It is not at all complicated to use. It begins with calibrating your voice with the software. You can also make your own voice database by speaking a number of words. This is the best thing I found in this software. It helps you to create your own vocabulary. So that if the inbuilt voice engine is not able to understand your accent you can make your own. For start this is abit complicated to use. Because it takes time to make your voice use to it.

There is a tool called as talking desktop. You can use it to search on web or perform a number of action. I think this is quiet better for using. I will recommend you to test this once.

Many voice recognition software lacks accuracy. And there are very few. I had tested Dragon this software works only if you had the proper accent. Or else you will find messy words. Second thing you have to speak a bit slower. I am sure this is going to get improved in coming time. I would love to test Mountain Lions Dictation feature. Because I too need a voice support type tool that can help me to write a email instantly, search on web or locate multiple solution. Typing is a bit time consuming.

Siri is good. I had used that and it works quiet fine. But you need a good internet speed or else this will not work. Because its looks on a web database to locate the right answer for you. If your accent is messy or if there is disturbance around you then you might not able to communicate with it.

There are thousands of shortcoming for such tools. I would advice you to stick with the keyboard. It is not worth to spend a much time in talking to those dumb tools.

If mac has highlighted this feature then I am sure they have done something good in this. Apple gives really nice products. Diction just allow you to make notes instantly and save them. It is bit complicated for voice tools to talk and say punctuations in between. But with a small practice you might get used to the same. Another shortcoming of such voice recognition software is that they are slow.

When you say you have to wait for a while when they actually product a text of it. Instead of that if you start typing it would be 5 times the faster. I am confused that does that software will really help. Or we must wait back to get some better support.

It is just a feature and it is on your choice to use or not. But if Apple has highlighted that then it means there would be some kind of special feature in it. You can check the feature list on official site.